Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
2. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
3. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
4. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
5. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
6. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
7. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
8. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
9. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
10. The BP oil spill has caused _____ damage to the entire Gulf Coast.
11. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
12. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
13. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
14. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
15. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
16. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
17. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
18. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
19. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
20. The young wrestler struggled to defeat his formidable _____.
21. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
22. Paradoxically - _____ reasoning does not always produce incorrect results; even though your logic may be flawed - the conclusion you reach may still be correct.
23. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
24. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
25. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
26. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
27. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
28. Despite Tom's _____ of innocence - Aunt Polly suspected he had eaten the pie.
29. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
30. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
31. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
32. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
33. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
34. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
35. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
36. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
37. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
38. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
39. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
40. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
41. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
42. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
43. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
44. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
45. After a decade of popularity - Hurston's works had fallen into _____; no one bothered to read her novels and short stories any more.
46. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
47. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
48. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
49. Because Sal once had fallen asleep while reading War and Peace - he thought that all Russian novels were _____.
50. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
Link to This Test