Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. At commencement - the dean praised Ellen for her _____ behavior as class president.
2. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
3. Tourists are urged not to _____ the sanctity of holy places by wearing immodest garb.
4. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
5. Disappointed in love - Miss Emily became a _____; she shut herself away in her empty mansion and refused to see another living soul.
6. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
7. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
8. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
9. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
10. Every time Ermengarde made a mistake in class - she was terrified that she would receive a harsh _____ from Miss Minchin.
11. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
12. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
13. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
14. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
15. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
16. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
17. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
18. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
19. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
20. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
21. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
22. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
23. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
24. The beauty of Tiffany's stained glass appealed to Esther's _____ sense.
25. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
26. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
27. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
28. The Head Start program attempts to _____ prekindergarten children so that they will do well when they enter elementary school.
29. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
30. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
31. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
32. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
33. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
34. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
35. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
36. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
37. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
38. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
39. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
40. The recent corruption scandals have _____ many people's faith in the city government.
41. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
42. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
43. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
44. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
45. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
46. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
47. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
48. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
49. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
50. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
Link to This Test