Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
2. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
3. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
4. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
5. Although Alfred _____ in fulfilling his duties at work - he is less conscientious about meeting his obligations at home.
6. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
7. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
8. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
9. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
10. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
11. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
12. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
13. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
14. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
15. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
16. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
17. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
18. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
19. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
20. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
21. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
22. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
23. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
24. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
25. All things change over time; nothing is _____.
26. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
27. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
28. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
29. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
30. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
31. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
32. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
33. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
34. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
35. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
36. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
37. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
38. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
39. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
40. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
41. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
42. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
43. The museum curator placed the Eskimo-carved wooden totem pole in _____ with two contemporary stone masks from Africa - creating a stunning effect.
44. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
45. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
46. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
47. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
48. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
49. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
50. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
Link to This Test