Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers to obvious but it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
2. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
3. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
4. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
5. The reviewers heaped _____ on the novice playwright - ridiculing his pretentious dialogue - flat characters - and simple-minded plot.
6. Although her early poetry was clearly _____ in nature - the critics thought she had promise and eventually would find her own voice.
7. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
8. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
9. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
10. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
11. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
12. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
13. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
14. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
15. Youth's beauty is _____; it quickly fades with age.
16. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
17. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
18. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
19. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
20. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
21. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
22. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
23. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
24. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
25. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
26. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
27. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
28. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
29. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
30. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
31. Dirt poor and out of work - she did not give up but continued to fight against _____.
32. No wonder Ted doesn't think straight! His mind is so cluttered with _____ information that he can't concentrate on the essentials.
33. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
34. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
35. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
36. Paradoxically - _____ reasoning does not always produce incorrect results; even though your logic may be flawed - the conclusion you reach may still be correct.
37. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
38. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
39. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
40. After separating from Tony - Tina announced that she would _____ all debts incurred by her soon-to-be-ex-husband.
41. Using only a few descriptive phrases - Austen manages to _____ the character of Mr. Collins so deftly that we can predict his every move.
42. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
43. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
44. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
45. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
46. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
47. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
48. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
49. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
50. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
Link to This Test