Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
2. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
3. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
4. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
5. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
6. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
7. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
8. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
9. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
10. Thoroughly baffled by Holmes's _____ remarks - Watson wondered whether Holmes was intentionally concealing his thoughts about the crime.
11. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
12. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
13. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
14. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
15. Michael's severe bout of the flue _____ him so much that for a week he was too tired to go back to work.
16. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
17. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
18. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
19. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
20. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
21. Although the movie star was no genius - she was sufficiently _____ to tell her true friends from the countless phonies who flattered her.
22. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
23. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
24. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
25. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
26. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
27. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
28. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
29. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
30. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
31. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
32. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
33. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
34. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
35. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
36. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
37. Although Alfred _____ in fulfilling his duties at work - he is less conscientious about meeting his obligations at home.
38. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
39. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
40. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
41. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
42. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
43. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
44. All things change over time; nothing is _____.
45. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
46. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
47. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
48. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
49. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
50. The reviewers praised the new restaurant's _____ selection of dishes - which ranged from Asian stir fries to French ragouts and stews.
Link to This Test