Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Michael's severe bout of the flue _____ him so much that for a week he was too tired to go back to work.
2. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
3. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
4. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
5. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
6. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
7. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
8. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
9. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
10. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
11. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
12. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
13. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
14. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
15. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
16. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
17. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
18. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
19. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
20. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
21. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
22. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
23. Please try not to include so many _____ details in your report; the bare facts are all I need.
24. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
25. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
26. Using only a few descriptive phrases - Austen manages to _____ the character of Mr. Collins so deftly that we can predict his every move.
27. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
28. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
29. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
30. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
31. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
32. Despite Tom's _____ of innocence - Aunt Polly suspected he had eaten the pie.
33. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
34. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
35. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
36. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
37. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
38. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
39. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
40. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
41. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
42. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
43. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
44. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
45. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
46. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
47. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
48. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
49. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
50. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
Link to This Test