Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
2. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
3. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
4. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
5. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
6. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
7. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
8. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
9. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
10. Although her early poetry was clearly _____ in nature - the critics thought she had promise and eventually would find her own voice.
11. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
12. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
13. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
14. The winter storm was ______; it changed course constantly.
15. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
16. At commencement - the dean praised Ellen for her _____ behavior as class president.
17. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
18. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
19. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
20. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
21. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
22. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
23. The beauty of Tiffany's stained glass appealed to Esther's _____ sense.
24. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
25. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
26. Paradoxically - _____ reasoning does not always produce incorrect results; even though your logic may be flawed - the conclusion you reach may still be correct.
27. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
28. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
29. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
30. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
31. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
32. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
33. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
34. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
35. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
36. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
37. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
38. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
39. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
40. Although the movie star was no genius - she was sufficiently _____ to tell her true friends from the countless phonies who flattered her.
41. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
42. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
43. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
44. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
45. Please try not to include so many _____ details in your report; the bare facts are all I need.
46. A radical committed to social change - Reed had no patience with the conservative views _____ in the America of his day.
47. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
48. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
49. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
50. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
Link to This Test