Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
2. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
3. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
4. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
5. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
6. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
7. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
8. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
9. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
10. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
11. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
12. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
13. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
14. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
15. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
16. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
17. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
18. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
19. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
20. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
21. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
22. The reviewers heaped _____ on the novice playwright - ridiculing his pretentious dialogue - flat characters - and simple-minded plot.
23. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
24. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
25. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
26. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
27. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
28. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
29. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
30. The reviewers praised the new restaurant's _____ selection of dishes - which ranged from Asian stir fries to French ragouts and stews.
31. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
32. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
33. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
34. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
35. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
36. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
37. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
38. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
39. The infant Mozart's parents quickly realized that their son had an _____ gift for music.
40. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
41. Because Sal once had fallen asleep while reading War and Peace - he thought that all Russian novels were _____.
42. These endorsements written by satisfied customers _____ our claim that Barron's SAT is the best SAT-prep book on the market.
43. A firm believer in democratic government - she could not understand the _____ of people who never bothered to vote.
44. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
45. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
46. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
47. An occasional glass of wine with dinner is relatively _____ and should have no ill effect on you.
48. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
49. Although Alfred _____ in fulfilling his duties at work - he is less conscientious about meeting his obligations at home.
50. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test