Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
2. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
3. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
4. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
5. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
6. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
7. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
8. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
9. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
10. The reviewers praised the new restaurant's _____ selection of dishes - which ranged from Asian stir fries to French ragouts and stews.
11. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
12. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
13. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
14. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
15. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
16. The museum curator placed the Eskimo-carved wooden totem pole in _____ with two contemporary stone masks from Africa - creating a stunning effect.
17. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
18. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
19. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
20. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
21. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
22. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
23. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
24. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
25. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
26. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
27. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
28. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
29. The Head Start program attempts to _____ prekindergarten children so that they will do well when they enter elementary school.
30. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
31. After a decade of popularity - Hurston's works had fallen into _____; no one bothered to read her novels and short stories any more.
32. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
33. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
34. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
35. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
36. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
37. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
38. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
39. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
40. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
41. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
42. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
43. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
44. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
45. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
46. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
47. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
48. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
49. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
50. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test