Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
2. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
3. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
4. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
5. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
6. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
7. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
8. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
9. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
10. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
11. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
12. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
13. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
14. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
15. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
16. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
17. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
18. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
19. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
20. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
21. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
22. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
23. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
24. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
25. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
26. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
27. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
28. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
29. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
30. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
31. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
32. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
33. At commencement - the dean praised Ellen for her _____ behavior as class president.
34. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
35. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
36. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
37. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
38. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.
39. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
40. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
41. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
42. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
43. Dirt poor and out of work - she did not give up but continued to fight against _____.
44. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
45. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
46. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
47. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
48. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
49. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
50. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test