Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. You had better _____ your accounting errors before the auditors arrive.
2. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
3. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
4. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
5. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
6. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
7. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
8. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
9. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
10. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
11. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
12. The recent corruption scandals have _____ many people's faith in the city government.
13. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
14. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
15. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
16. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
17. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
18. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
19. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
20. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
21. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
22. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
23. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
24. The Head Start program attempts to _____ prekindergarten children so that they will do well when they enter elementary school.
25. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
26. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
27. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
28. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
29. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
30. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
31. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
32. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
33. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
34. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
35. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
36. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
37. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
38. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
39. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
40. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
41. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
42. At commencement - the dean praised Ellen for her _____ behavior as class president.
43. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
44. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
45. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
46. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
47. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
48. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
49. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
50. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
Link to This Test