Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
2. The Head Start program attempts to _____ prekindergarten children so that they will do well when they enter elementary school.
3. You had better _____ your accounting errors before the auditors arrive.
4. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
5. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
6. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
7. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
8. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
9. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
10. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
11. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
12. The beauty of Tiffany's stained glass appealed to Esther's _____ sense.
13. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
14. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
15. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
16. These endorsements written by satisfied customers _____ our claim that Barron's SAT is the best SAT-prep book on the market.
17. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
18. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
19. Michael's severe bout of the flue _____ him so much that for a week he was too tired to go back to work.
20. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
21. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
22. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
23. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
24. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
25. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
26. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
27. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
28. The young wrestler struggled to defeat his formidable _____.
29. Because Sal once had fallen asleep while reading War and Peace - he thought that all Russian novels were _____.
30. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
31. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
32. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
33. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
34. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
35. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
36. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
37. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
38. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
39. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
40. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
41. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
42. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
43. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
44. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
45. A firm believer in democratic government - she could not understand the _____ of people who never bothered to vote.
46. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
47. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
48. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
49. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
50. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
GET PROVEN ADVICE FROM 100+ BEST
BOOKS IN 1 BOOK
The World's First & Only Encyclopedia of
Self Help, Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills
502 Pages | Just $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test