Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
2. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
3. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
4. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
5. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
6. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
7. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
8. Because solar energy has the power to reduce greenhouse gases and increase energy efficiency - conversion to the use of solar energy may help _____ the threat of global warming.
9. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
10. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
11. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
12. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
13. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
14. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
15. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
16. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
17. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
18. Although her early poetry was clearly _____ in nature - the critics thought she had promise and eventually would find her own voice.
19. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
20. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
21. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
22. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
23. Thoroughly baffled by Holmes's _____ remarks - Watson wondered whether Holmes was intentionally concealing his thoughts about the crime.
24. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
25. Tourists are urged not to _____ the sanctity of holy places by wearing immodest garb.
26. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
27. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
28. The reviewers heaped _____ on the novice playwright - ridiculing his pretentious dialogue - flat characters - and simple-minded plot.
29. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
30. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
31. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
32. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
33. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.
34. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
35. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
36. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
37. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
38. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
39. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
40. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
41. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
42. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
43. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
44. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
45. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
46. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
47. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
48. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
49. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
50. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.