Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
2. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
3. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
4. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
5. Don't bore your audience with excess verbiage; be _____.
6. A radical committed to social change - Reed had no patience with the conservative views _____ in the America of his day.
7. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
8. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
9. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
10. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
11. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
12. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
13. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
14. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
15. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
16. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
17. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
18. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
19. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
20. The museum curator placed the Eskimo-carved wooden totem pole in _____ with two contemporary stone masks from Africa - creating a stunning effect.
21. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
22. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
23. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
24. Disappointed in love - Miss Emily became a _____; she shut herself away in her empty mansion and refused to see another living soul.
25. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
26. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
27. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
28. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
29. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
30. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
31. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
32. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
33. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
34. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
35. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
36. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
37. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
38. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
39. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
40. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
41. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
42. The BP oil spill has caused _____ damage to the entire Gulf Coast.
43. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
44. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
45. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
46. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
47. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
48. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
49. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
50. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
The First & Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test