Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
2. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
3. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
4. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
5. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
6. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
7. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
8. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
9. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
10. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
11. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
12. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
13. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
14. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
15. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
16. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
17. To revise a textbook properly - you must do more than make a few _____ changes to the manuscript.
18. A firm believer in democratic government - she could not understand the _____ of people who never bothered to vote.
19. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
20. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
21. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
22. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
23. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
24. I was bowled over by the _____ of Amy's welcome. What an enthusiastic greeting!
25. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
26. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
27. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
28. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
29. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
30. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
31. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
32. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
33. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
34. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
35. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
36. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
37. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
38. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
39. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
40. Although the movie star was no genius - she was sufficiently _____ to tell her true friends from the countless phonies who flattered her.
41. The reviewers heaped _____ on the novice playwright - ridiculing his pretentious dialogue - flat characters - and simple-minded plot.
42. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
43. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
44. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
45. Michael's severe bout of the flue _____ him so much that for a week he was too tired to go back to work.
46. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
47. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
48. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
49. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
50. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test