Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
2. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
3. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
4. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
5. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
6. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
7. I was bowled over by the _____ of Amy's welcome. What an enthusiastic greeting!
8. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
9. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
10. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
11. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
12. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
13. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
14. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
15. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
16. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
17. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
18. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
19. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
20. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
21. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
22. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
23. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
24. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
25. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
26. Despite Tom's _____ of innocence - Aunt Polly suspected he had eaten the pie.
27. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
28. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
29. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
30. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
31. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
32. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
33. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
34. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
35. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
36. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
37. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
38. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
39. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
40. Every time Ermengarde made a mistake in class - she was terrified that she would receive a harsh _____ from Miss Minchin.
41. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
42. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
43. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
44. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
45. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
46. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
47. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
48. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
49. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
50. The museum curator placed the Eskimo-carved wooden totem pole in _____ with two contemporary stone masks from Africa - creating a stunning effect.
The First & Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test