Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
2. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
3. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
4. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
5. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
6. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
7. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
8. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
9. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
10. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
11. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
12. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
13. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
14. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
15. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
16. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
17. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
18. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
19. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
20. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
21. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
22. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
23. Don't bore your audience with excess verbiage; be _____.
24. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
25. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
26. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
27. Thoroughly baffled by Holmes's _____ remarks - Watson wondered whether Holmes was intentionally concealing his thoughts about the crime.
28. The special prosecutor determined that the attorney general - though inept - had not intentionally set out to _____ the progress of the investigation.
29. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
30. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
31. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
32. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
33. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
34. Please try not to include so many _____ details in your report; the bare facts are all I need.
35. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
36. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
37. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
38. Disappointed in love - Miss Emily became a _____; she shut herself away in her empty mansion and refused to see another living soul.
39. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
40. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
41. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
42. No wonder Ted doesn't think straight! His mind is so cluttered with _____ information that he can't concentrate on the essentials.
43. I was bowled over by the _____ of Amy's welcome. What an enthusiastic greeting!
44. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
45. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
46. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
47. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
48. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
49. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
50. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.