Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
2. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
3. Although Alfred _____ in fulfilling his duties at work - he is less conscientious about meeting his obligations at home.
4. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
5. Using only a few descriptive phrases - Austen manages to _____ the character of Mr. Collins so deftly that we can predict his every move.
6. You had better _____ your accounting errors before the auditors arrive.
7. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
8. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
9. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
10. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
11. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
12. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
13. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
14. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
15. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
16. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
17. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
18. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
19. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
20. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
21. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
22. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
23. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
24. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
25. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
26. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
27. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
28. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
29. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
30. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
31. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
32. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
33. The museum curator placed the Eskimo-carved wooden totem pole in _____ with two contemporary stone masks from Africa - creating a stunning effect.
34. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
35. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
36. On certain issues of principle - the senator refused to take a _____ stand - but let her conscience be her guide.
37. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
38. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
39. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
40. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
41. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
42. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
43. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
44. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
45. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
46. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
47. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
48. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
49. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
50. The infant Mozart's parents quickly realized that their son had an _____ gift for music.
The First & Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test