Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
2. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
3. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
4. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
5. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
6. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
7. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
8. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
9. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
10. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
11. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
12. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
13. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
14. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
15. The young wrestler struggled to defeat his formidable _____.
16. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
17. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
18. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
19. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
20. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
21. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
22. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
23. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
24. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
25. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
26. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
27. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
28. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
29. Rather than live in the crowded city center - we chose to buy a house in one of the _____ suburbs ringing the metropolis.
30. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
31. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
32. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
33. You had better _____ your accounting errors before the auditors arrive.
34. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
35. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
36. Because Sal once had fallen asleep while reading War and Peace - he thought that all Russian novels were _____.
37. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
38. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
39. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
40. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
41. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
42. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
43. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
44. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
45. Don't bore your audience with excess verbiage; be _____.
46. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
47. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
48. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
49. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
50. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.