Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
2. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
3. The winter storm was ______; it changed course constantly.
4. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
5. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
6. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
7. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
8. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
9. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
10. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
11. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
12. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
13. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
14. Historically - traders and missionaries often proved themselves to be _____ explorers - bravely venturing into new territories despite the dangers involved.
15. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
16. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
17. The BP oil spill has caused _____ damage to the entire Gulf Coast.
18. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
19. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
20. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
21. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
22. Please try not to include so many _____ details in your report; the bare facts are all I need.
23. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
24. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
25. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
26. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
27. Their _____ in rank made no difference at all to the prince and Cinderella.
28. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
29. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
30. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
31. When Johnny came down with a bad case of poison oak - the doctor recommended calamine lotion to _____ the itching.
32. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
33. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
34. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
35. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
36. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
37. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
38. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
39. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
40. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
41. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
42. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
43. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
44. Tourists are urged not to _____ the sanctity of holy places by wearing immodest garb.
45. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
46. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
47. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
48. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
49. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
50. These endorsements written by satisfied customers _____ our claim that Barron's SAT is the best SAT-prep book on the market.
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test