Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
2. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
3. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
4. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
5. The winter storm was ______; it changed course constantly.
6. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
7. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
8. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
9. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
10. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
11. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
12. To be low man on the totem pole is to have a decidedly inferior place in the _____.
13. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
14. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
15. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
16. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
17. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
18. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
19. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
20. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
21. After a decade of popularity - Hurston's works had fallen into _____; no one bothered to read her novels and short stories any more.
22. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
23. Despite Tom's _____ of innocence - Aunt Polly suspected he had eaten the pie.
24. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
25. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
26. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
27. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
28. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
29. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
30. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
31. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
32. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
33. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
34. I was bowled over by the _____ of Amy's welcome. What an enthusiastic greeting!
35. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
36. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
37. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
38. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
39. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
40. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
41. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
42. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
43. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
44. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
45. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
46. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
47. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
48. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
49. The reviewers praised the new restaurant's _____ selection of dishes - which ranged from Asian stir fries to French ragouts and stews.
50. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
Tiny Skills: 250+ Skill Guides in 1 Book
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test