Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
2. These endorsements written by satisfied customers _____ our claim that Barron's SAT is the best SAT-prep book on the market.
3. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
4. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
5. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
6. Thoroughly baffled by Holmes's _____ remarks - Watson wondered whether Holmes was intentionally concealing his thoughts about the crime.
7. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
8. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
9. Dirt poor and out of work - she did not give up but continued to fight against _____.
10. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.
11. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
12. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
13. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
14. Using only a few descriptive phrases - Austen manages to _____ the character of Mr. Collins so deftly that we can predict his every move.
15. Rather than live in the crowded city center - we chose to buy a house in one of the _____ suburbs ringing the metropolis.
16. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
17. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
18. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
19. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
20. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
21. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
22. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
23. I was bowled over by the _____ of Amy's welcome. What an enthusiastic greeting!
24. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
25. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
26. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
27. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
28. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
29. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
30. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
31. Although her early poetry was clearly _____ in nature - the critics thought she had promise and eventually would find her own voice.
32. The recent corruption scandals have _____ many people's faith in the city government.
33. The BP oil spill has caused _____ damage to the entire Gulf Coast.
34. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
35. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
36. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
37. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
38. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
39. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
40. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
41. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
42. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
43. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
44. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
45. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
46. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
47. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
48. Tourists are urged not to _____ the sanctity of holy places by wearing immodest garb.
49. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
50. Paradoxically - _____ reasoning does not always produce incorrect results; even though your logic may be flawed - the conclusion you reach may still be correct.
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test