Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
2. Uncertain which suitor she ought to accept - the princess _____ - first favoring one and then the other.
3. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
4. Although the movie star was no genius - she was sufficiently _____ to tell her true friends from the countless phonies who flattered her.
5. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
6. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
7. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
8. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
9. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
10. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
11. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
12. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
13. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
14. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
15. The BP oil spill has caused _____ damage to the entire Gulf Coast.
16. A firm believer in democratic government - she could not understand the _____ of people who never bothered to vote.
17. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
18. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
19. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
20. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
21. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
22. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
23. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
24. The Beatles expressed themselves through capricious - flip humor and _____ displays of carefree abandon.
25. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
26. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
27. His coarse - hard-bitten exterior _____ his inner sensitivity.
28. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
29. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
30. The winter storm was ______; it changed course constantly.
31. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
32. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
33. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
34. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
35. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
36. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
37. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
38. Rather than live in the crowded city center - we chose to buy a house in one of the _____ suburbs ringing the metropolis.
39. The special prosecutor determined that the attorney general - though inept - had not intentionally set out to _____ the progress of the investigation.
40. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
41. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
42. The rich new student tried to attract friends by making an _____ display of his wealth.
43. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
44. Every time Ermengarde made a mistake in class - she was terrified that she would receive a harsh _____ from Miss Minchin.
45. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
46. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
47. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
48. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
49. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
50. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
Link to This Test