Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. _____ to his downtrodden existence - the day laborer was too meek to protest his supervisor's bullying.
2. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
3. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
4. Icebreakers were needed to _____ the trapped whales from the icy floes that closed them in.
5. Although Alfred _____ in fulfilling his duties at work - he is less conscientious about meeting his obligations at home.
6. A miser hoards money - not because he is _____ - but because he is stingy.
7. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
8. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
9. After a decade of popularity - Hurston's works had fallen into _____; no one bothered to read her novels and short stories any more.
10. Tourists are urged not to _____ the sanctity of holy places by wearing immodest garb.
11. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
12. The recent corruption scandals have _____ many people's faith in the city government.
13. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
14. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
15. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
16. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
17. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
18. Don't bore your audience with excess verbiage; be _____.
19. The store manager tried to _____ the angry customer by offering to replace the damaged merchandise or return her money.
20. Despite Tom's _____ of innocence - Aunt Polly suspected he had eaten the pie.
21. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
22. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
23. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
24. Although Eric knew the boss had no sense of humor - he couldn't resist making one _____ remark.
25. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
26. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
27. All things change over time; nothing is _____.
28. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
29. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
30. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
31. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
32. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
33. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
34. To John - who had never missed a meal - hunger was an _____ concept - one he understood only in theory.
35. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
36. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
37. The stereotypical cowboy is a _____ soul - answering lengthy questions with a simple 'yep' or 'nope.'
38. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
39. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
40. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
41. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
42. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
43. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
44. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
45. These endorsements written by satisfied customers _____ our claim that Barron's SAT is the best SAT-prep book on the market.
46. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
47. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
48. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
49. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
50. You had better _____ your accounting errors before the auditors arrive.
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test