Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
2. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
3. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
4. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
5. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
6. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
7. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
8. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
9. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
10. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
11. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
12. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
13. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
14. All things change over time; nothing is _____.
15. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
16. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
17. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
18. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
19. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
20. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
21. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
22. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
23. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
24. The costume designer _____ the leading lady's ball gown with yards and yards of ribbon and lace.
25. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
26. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
27. There is a fine line between speech that is _____ and to the point and speech so abrupt that it verges on rudeness.
28. You can _____ your chances of being admitted to the college of your choice by learning to write well.
29. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
30. Though Aunt Bea at times had to _____ Opie for inattention in church - she believed he was at heart a God-fearing lad.
31. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
32. A radical committed to social change - Reed had no patience with the conservative views _____ in the America of his day.
33. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
34. Flat prose and flat ginger are equally _____; both lack sparkle.
35. When you send a message on Twitter - be _____; a tweet cannot be more than 140 characters long.
36. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
37. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
38. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
39. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
40. The governor's appointment of his brother-in-law to the State Supreme Court was a _____ violation of the state laws against nepotism.
41. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
42. Although Nancy enjoyed Bill's _____ - lighthearted companionship - she sometimes wondered whether he could ever be serious.
43. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
44. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
45. When you place a phone call from an airplane - _____ is essential; you are charged for every minute.
46. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
47. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
48. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
49. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
50. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
Tiny Skills: 250+ Skill Guides in 1 Book
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test