Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Psychoanalysts must maintain their professional _____ and stay uninvolved with their patients' personal lives.
2. Although defeat appeared inevitable - the general was _____ in his refusal to surrender.
3. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
4. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
5. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
6. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
7. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
8. No matter how hard Darnell tried to lure the trout into taking the bait - the fish was too _____ to catch.
9. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
10. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
11. Politicians of both the extreme right and left annoy me because they do not sound like people but parrots mindlessly repeating _____ clich
12. A firm believer in democratic government - she could not understand the _____ of people who never bothered to vote.
13. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
14. A born storyteller - my father loved to _____ anecdotes about his early years in New York.
15. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
16. A radical committed to social change - Reed had no patience with the conservative views _____ in the America of his day.
17. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
18. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
19. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
20. We could tell we were in serious trouble from the _____ of the principal's expression.
21. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
22. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
23. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
24. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
25. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
26. The reviewers heaped _____ on the novice playwright - ridiculing his pretentious dialogue - flat characters - and simple-minded plot.
27. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
28. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
29. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
30. According to Sherlock Homes - the very point that appears to complicate a case - when duly considered and scientifically handled - is the one most likely to _____ it.
31. The inquisitors used both physical and psychological _____ to force Joan of Arc to deny that her visions were sent by God.
32. All things change over time; nothing is _____.
33. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
34. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
35. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
36. Covering the Olympic Games - the sportscasters _____ every American victory and grumbled about every American defeat.
37. The Head Start program attempts to _____ prekindergarten children so that they will do well when they enter elementary school.
38. The headmaster's _____ demeanor tended to care off the more timid students - who never visited his study willingly.
39. Shrewdly purchasing valuable plots of land for small sums - John Jacob Astor gained a reputation as an _____ investor.
40. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
41. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
42. Thoroughly baffled by Holmes's _____ remarks - Watson wondered whether Holmes was intentionally concealing his thoughts about the crime.
43. Though his fellow students considered him a gifted scholar - Paul knew he would have to spend many years in serious study before he could consider himself truly _____.
44. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
45. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
46. Though Glenn was devout - he was no _____; he never tried to force his beliefs on friends.
47. The classic cowboy hero is a _____ figure - someone generally described as the strong - silent type.
48. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
49. Because Carmen believed in Juan's fidelity - she _____ the notion that he might be having an affair.
50. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test