Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
2. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
3. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
4. The recent corruption scandals have _____ many people's faith in the city government.
5. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
6. Don't just hint around that you're dissatisfied; be _____ about what's bothering you.
7. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
8. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
9. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
10. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
11. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
12. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
13. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
14. It is _____ that his success came when he least wanted it.
15. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
16. At evening block inspection - the recruits' bunk room - washroom - and gear come under the inspecting officer's close _____.
17. Nobody minded when Professor Renoir's lectures wandered away from their official them; his _____ were always more fascinating than the topic of the day.
18. Because a _____ examination of the ruins indicates the possibility of arson - we believe the insurance agency should undertake a more thorough investigation of the fire's cause.
19. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
20. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
21. When both Harvard and Stanford accepted Laura - she was in a _____ as to which school she should attend.
22. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
23. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
24. Denying that she advocated total _____ - Katya maintained she wished only to change our government - not to destroy it utterly.
25. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
26. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
27. Through the comments of the characters in his cartoon strip - Doonesbury - Gary Trudeau ridicules political corruption; his humor is _____ in nature.
28. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
29. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
30. Because the student body at their daughter's prep school was so _____ - they decided to send her to a school that offered greater cultural diversity.
31. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
32. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
33. When acacias are in bloom - the increase of pollen in the air _____ Richard's hay fever.
34. The reviewers praised the new restaurant's _____ selection of dishes - which ranged from Asian stir fries to French ragouts and stews.
35. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
36. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
37. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
38. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
39. The airline customer service agent tried to _____ the angry passenger by offering her a seat in first class.
40. Despite airing her clothes for several hours - she could not rid them of the _____ odor of mothballs that clung to them.
41. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
42. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
43. My editors must assume I'm a _____ writer; they expect me to revise six books this year.
44. The young princess made the foolish _____ that the regent would not object to her taking the reins of power.
45. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
46. She kept all the receipts form her business trip in order to _____ her expenses for the Internal Revenue Service.
47. Matilda thought it was somewhat _____ of the young man to have addressed her without first having been introduced. Perhaps manners were freer here in the New World.
48. Using only a few descriptive phrases - Austen manages to _____ the character of Mr. Collins so deftly that we can predict his every move.
49. Stories in The New York Times often include _____ allusions to obscure people and events.
50. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test