Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
2. Although you can still hear _____ outbursts of laughter and signing outside - the Halloween parade has passed; the party is over till next year.
3. Her wealthy suitors wooed her with _____ gifts.
4. The senator was _____ for behavior inappropriate to a member of Congress.
5. A pragmatic politician - he was guided more by what was _____ than by what was right.
6. Rumors of police corruption led the mayor to _____ an investigation into the department's activities.
7. In class - she tried to stay alert and listen to the professor - but the stuffy room made her _____; she felt as if she were about to nod off.
8. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
9. Is an old-fashioned hairstyle an apt _____ for being out of step with the times and in need of change?
10. Youth's beauty is _____; it quickly fades with age.
11. Though Huck was quite willing to _____ Tom's story - Aunt Polly knew better than to believe either of them.
12. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
13. Thirty years after the war - she could not let go of the past but was still consumed with _____ against the foe.
14. Though Widow Douglas had hopes of reforming Huck - Miss Watson considered him _____ and swore he would come to no good end.
15. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
16. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted many subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
17. Josh is such a greedy _____ that - as soon as the earthquake struck - he tripled the price of bottled water at his store.
18. Times of economic hardship inevitably encourage the _____ of countless get-rich-quick schemes.
19. Stop giggling and wriggling around in the pew; such _____ is improper in church.
20. A doting mother - Emma was more likely to praise her son's childish finger paintings than to _____ them.
21. The uncrowned queen of the fashion industry - Diana was famous for her _____ taste.
22. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
23. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
24. After Ralph dropped his second try of drinks that week - the manager swiftly _____ him to a minor post behind the bar.
25. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
26. The architect realized that her design for the new school had to be in _____ with the local building code.
27. After a decade of popularity - Hurston's works had fallen into _____; no one bothered to read her novels and short stories any more.
28. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
29. Don't bore your audience with excess verbiage; be _____.
30. Drinking alcohol can _____ your ability to drive safely; if you're going to drink - don't drive.
31. The infant Mozart's parents quickly realized that their son had an _____ gift for music.
32. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
33. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
34. Suppose you are accepted by Harvard - Stanford - and Yale. Which one would you attend? Remember - this is only a _____ situation.
35. Because Sal once had fallen asleep while reading War and Peace - he thought that all Russian novels were _____.
36. A radical committed to social change - Reed had no patience with the conservative views _____ in the America of his day.
37. The special prosecutor determined that the attorney general - though inept - had not intentionally set out to _____ the progress of the investigation.
38. Judy's great fear was that she might _____ omit a question on the exam and mismark her entire answer sheet.
39. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
40. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
41. Every time Ermengarde made a mistake in class - she was terrified that she would receive a harsh _____ from Miss Minchin.
42. The defense called several respectable witnesses who were able to _____ the lying testimony of the prosecution's sole witness.
43. Whenever Sue was angry - she tried to avoid raising her voice because she had no wish to sound _____.
44. Because she was a firm believer in old-fashioned courtesy - Miss Post _____ the modern tendency to address new acquaintances by their first names.
45. The young wrestler struggled to defeat his formidable _____.
46. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
47. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
48. Galileo's assertion that the earth moved around the sun directly contradicted the religious teachings of his day; as a result - he was tried for _____.
49. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
50. Because Webster's dictionary had grown so large and unwieldy - the publishers decided to _____ it and bring out a condensed version.
The First & Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test