Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
2. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
3. After the quarrel - Gina said nothing could _____ her to talk to Pedro again.
4. When the boys first met their new stepmother - they felt some _____ - but eventually they lost that initial awkwardness and talked with her comfortably.
5. In a fiery speech - Mario _____ his fellow students to go out on strike to protest the university's anti-affirmative action stand.
6. Uninterested in philosophical or spiritual discussions - Max talked only of _____ matters - such as the daily weather forecast or the latest basketball results.
7. Blind people sometimes develop a compensatory ability to sense the _____ of objects around them.
8. When I saw how Fred and his fraternity brothers had trashed the frat house - I decided to _____ my offer to let them use our summer cottage over spring break.
9. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
10. Although her _____ smile and gentle bearing made Miss Marple seem to be a sweet little old lady - in reality she was a tough-minded - shrewd observer of human nature.
11. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
12. The attorney came up with several far-fetched arguments in a vain attempt to _____ his weak case.
13. What _____ did you use when you selected this essay as the prizewinner?
14. The glitter and _____ of the ballroom took Cinderella's breath away.
15. I am a _____ about the proposed new health plan; I want some proof that it will work.
16. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
17. My Uncle Henry can out-talk any three people I know. he is the most _____ man in Cayuga County.
18. As far as I'm concerned - Apple's claims about its new computer are pure _____; no machine is that good!
19. With its worn-out dialogue and predictable plot - the sitcom struck me as unbearably _____.
20. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
21. Noticing the _____ glance the customer gave the diamond bracelet on the counter - the clerk wondered whether he had a potential shoplifter in the store.
22. Although her early poetry was clearly _____ in nature - the critics thought she had promise and eventually would find her own voice.
23. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
24. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
25. Cool - calm - and collected - James Bond shows remarkable _____ in the face of danger.
26. Looking for any inconsistency in the testimony that might exonerate his client - the defense lawyer pounced on a _____ between the two witnesses' versions of what had occurred.
27. Someone mute cannot talk; someone _____ can hardly stop talking.
28. Unlike Widow Douglas - who _____ Huck's minor offenses - Miss Watson did nothing but scold.
29. Some of the newer - less formal passages on the SAT have a _____ tone that is intended to make them more appealing to students.
30. The conceited rap star relished the _____ he received from his groupies and yes-men.
31. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
32. Instead of delivering a spoken _____ at Genny's memorial service - Jeff sang a song he had written in her honor.
33. Typically - partygoers are _____; hermits are not.
34. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
35. 'Judicial activism' is the alleged tendency of some judges to _____ the power of elected legislatures by making the law rather than merely interpreting it.
36. Without additional funding - it may not be _____ to build a new stadium for the team on the city's highly developed West Side.
37. An occasional glass of wine with dinner is relatively _____ and should have no ill effect on you.
38. Youth's beauty is _____; it quickly fades with age.
39. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
40. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
41. At commencement - the dean praised Ellen for her _____ behavior as class president.
42. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
43. Although Georgia O'Keeffe painted subjects over the years - she had a definite _____ for painting flowers.
44. Although the University of California at Berkeley is just one part of the state university system - in many ways - Cal Berkeley is _____ - for it runs several programs that are not subject to state control.
45. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
46. The fact that the band was already booked to play in Hollywood on New year's Eve _____ their accepting the gig in London.
47. When Amanda said to the ticket scalper - 'One hundred bucks? What do you want - a pound of flesh?' she was making an _____ to Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.
48. After separating from Tony - Tina announced that she would _____ all debts incurred by her soon-to-be-ex-husband.
49. There's no point to what you're saying. Why are you bothering to make such _____ remarks?
50. The legendary athlete Jim Thorpe - who _____ all his competitors at the 1912 Olympic Games - made a name for himself in baseball - football - and track.
The Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Guides | 5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test