Test your basic knowledge |
Complete Advanced Sentences
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. In a brief essay - describe a person you admire - someone whose virtues and achievements you would like to _____.
2. Mother was a _____ housekeeper - unwilling to allow a single speck of dirt to mar her perfect home.
3. Towering over the nearby houses - the MacMansion looked wholly _____ in the historic neighborhood of small Craftsman bungalows.
4. Tina was still angry despite Tony's soft and _____ words.
5. 'Any publicity is good publicity - 'said the starlet. 'If I can't have a good reputation - I'll settle for _____.'
6. Everyone waited to see which one of the rival candidates for city council the mayor would _____.
7. Jealous of Cinderella's beauty - her _____ stepsisters expressed their spite by forcing her to do menial tasks.
8. The defense lawyer confidently listened to the prosecutor sum up his case - sure that she could answer his arguments in her _____.
9. The wealthy - self-indulgent young man felt oddly drawn to the strict - _____ lifestyle practiced by members of some monastic orders.
10. The mayfly is an _____ creature; its adult life lasts little more than a day.
11. Seeking the end of slavery - the abolitionists _____ freedom for the slaves.
12. The coming trip to France should provide a _____ test of the value of my conversational French class.
13. In Tibet today - the common people still _____ their traditional spiritual leader - the Dalai Lama.
14. Con artists take advantage of the _____ of inexperienced Internet users to gain access to their credit card information.
15. Violently disagreeing with the referees' ruling - Coach Ben became so _____ that they threw him out of the game.
16. After medical school - the two doctors took widely _____ paths - one becoming a wealthy plastic surgeon - the other joining the nonprofit Doctors Without Borders.
17. Warned of _____ weather conditions ahead - the pilot told the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
18. The president _____ the astronauts - whom he called 'the pioneers of the Space Age.'
19. Katya's _____ love of justice moved her to champion the cause of anyone she considered unfairly treated by society.
20. We made an _____ choice to eat at the first restaurant we saw.
21. In the film Funny Face - the bookish heroine _____ fashion models for their lack of intellectual interests.
22. Compared to Jo - who was perfectly ready to chat with anyone about anything - Beth was _____ about what she considered personal matters.
23. Bobby was such a _____ eater that he would eat a sandwich only if his mother first cut off every scrap of crust.
24. Government agents have been known to use wiretapping and other _____ methods to spy on suspected terrorists.
25. An occasional glass of wine with dinner is relatively _____ and should have no ill effect on you.
26. Because Ann felt no desire to marry - she was _____ to Carl's constant proposals.
27. Nothing could shake his _____ that his children would get the best education that money could buy.
28. When Elizabeth realized that Darcy considered himself too good to dance with his inferiors - she took great offense at his _____.
29. Torn between loving her parents one minute and hating them the next - she was confused by the _____ of her feelings.
30. The infant Mozart's parents quickly realized that their son had an _____ gift for music.
31. Although some girls were attracted by Mark's air of _____ - Judy was put off by it - for she felt his aloofness indicated a lack of openness.
32. By their use of the Internet - propagandists have been able to _____ their pet doctrines to new audiences around the globe.
33. Even the best-mannered students have trouble behaving with _____ on the last day of school.
34. Since both interpretations seemed possible - the judge could not decide which way to interpret a particularly _____ passage in the law.
35. The bottle of wine I brought to Sharon's party was certainly _____: how was I to know that Sharon owned a winery?
36. To win his audience - the speaker used every _____ trick in the book.
37. No wonder Ted doesn't think straight! His mind is so cluttered with _____ information that he can't concentrate on the essentials.
38. Pointing out that the candidate consistently had voted against strengthening antipollution legislation - the reporter _____ her claim that she was a fervent environmentalist.
39. This alleged fiscal crisis is no crisis at all. it is based on _____ claims about financial institutions and on scare stories about impending economic ruin.
40. At the protest rally - the students cheered the strikers and booed the dean with equal _____.
41. The boss prefaced his speech by telling a pointless _____ about an encounter he'd had with former President Bush.
42. Rather than live in the crowded city center - we chose to buy a house in one of the _____ suburbs ringing the metropolis.
43. Because solar energy has the power to reduce greenhouse gases and increase energy efficiency - conversion to the use of solar energy may help _____ the threat of global warming.
44. Acetone is an extremely _____ liquid: it vaporizes instantly.
45. In providing college scholarships for economically disadvantaged youths - Eugene Lang performed a truly _____ deed.
46. The doctor assured the boy's parents that his fever would eventually _____.
47. Even though she knew she would be burned at the stake as a witch - Joan of Arc refused to _____ her belief that her voices came from God.
48. The mayor was unwilling to _____ the plan until she was sure it had the governor's backing.
49. Othello's false friend lago uses considerable _____ to trick Othello into believing that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him
50. Rejecting the candidate's _____ comments on tax reform - the reporter pressed him to state clearly where he stood on the issue.
250+ Top Skills To Get And Keep A Job
502 Pages of Distilled Wisdom
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills
The World's First & Only Encyclopedia of
Self Help, Self Improvement & Career Advice
Just $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test