Test your basic knowledge |
DSST Substance Abuse
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Legal _______ drugs - ranked by amount of money spent each year: Alcohol ($104 billion) Tobacco ($51.9 billion) Coffee - Tea and Cocoa ($5.7 billion)
2. Alcoholic fatty liver - alcoholic _________ - and cirrhosis are all liver disorders associated with heavy use of alcohol.
3. Naloxone or __________ is used to reverse the depressed respiration resulting from an opioid overdose.
4. Cocaine is derived from the ____ plant.
5. Drug testing in sports began in the ____s.
6. Respiratory depression is the most common type of drug _________ death--people simply stop breathing.
7. Approximately 20 years ago - heroin was replaced by _______ as the most abused illicit drug in the US (other than marijuana).
8. Introduced as a ____ law - the Harrison Narcotic Act (1914) was not meant to be punitive and it made no reference to users of narcotics.
Over the counter
9. Marinol is a ____________ controlled substance.
10. Methylphenidate and Ritalin are both ______________.
11. The most common active ingredients contained in OTC sleep aids are ______________.
12. There are currently no FDA approved OTC drugs for ______________.
13. The fourth stage of drug addiction is __________.
14. The white powder that you generally associate with cocaine is the _____ form of cocaine known as cocaine hydrochloride.
15. Acne and baldness in men - decreased breast size and facial hair in women are some of the side effects associated with ________________ use.
16. The opioid antagonist __________ selectively blocks opioid effects - preventing the user from experiencing the reinforcing effects of the abused drug (for example - heroin).
120 pound woman
17. Nitrous oxide is used by _________ for light anesthesia and can be found as a propellant in whipped cream dispensers.
18. Almost all alcoholics suffering from withdrawal symptoms (about __%) can be treated in outpatient programs.
19. When using snuff or chewing tobacco - nicotine is absorbed through the ______ lining of the mouth.
20. ___________ and Chondroitin are both herbal dietary supplements that contribute to joint strength and are used to used to relieve the discomfort of arthritis.
21. In the relief stage - a user experiences satisfaction by _________ from negative feelings such as boredom - anger - stress - fatigue and loneliness.
22. Family and friends of controlled users are often completely unaware of this person's drug use. Controlled users place ___________ constraints on their drug use - for example never on a workday - never around children - etc.
23. Headaches - nosebleeds - nausea - drunken appearance and ______ eyes are all signs of inhalant abuse.
24. Two consequences of illicit drug use are lost productivity and increased ___________ costs.
25. All reinforcing drugs (drugs that reinforce their use) stimulate dopamine neurons in the __________ system.
Legal Recreational Use
26. _________ are the oldest stimulants known. They are found in tea - coffee - soft drinks and chocolate.
27. Cronic malnutrition causes _______ damage.
28. The three types of names that are applied to drugs are the _______ name - the chemical name - and the brand name.
29. The time course of a drug's action depends on many things - including how the drug is administered - how quickly it is ______ - and how it is eliminated from the body.
30. _______________ and Ritalin are two drugs commonly used to treat ADHD.
31. Drugs prescribed to control symptoms associated with ______ problems are called psychotherapeutics.
32. Physical dependence is related to _______________ tolerance.
33. The Native American Church's use of ______ has been controversial throughout the twentieth century.
34. _________ drugs produce wakefulness and a sense of energy and well-being.
35. Cannabis withdrawal syndrome (is or is not) listed in the Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV).
36. Legal instrumental - illegal instrumental - legal recreational and illegal recreational use are the 4 types of drug use according to ___________.
37. Heroin is classified as a schedule __________ drug.
ECT - Electroconvulsive therapy
38. When given ____-nicotine cigarettes - smokers adjust by taking more puffs and inhaling more deeply.
39. The addiction rate for tobacco is 20 to 30% - for alcohol the rate is 15% - and for cocaine its __%.
40. _______ is drinkable - is the psychoactive ingredient in alcoholic beverages - and is also known as grain alcohol.
41. Short acting drugs are used as __________ to treat insomnia and long acting drugs are used as sedatives to give prolonged relief from anxiety.
42. Drug dependence is made up of both ________ and psychological factors.
43. The buildup of a drug in the body after multiple doses taken at short intervals is called __________ effect.
44. ______________ are unhealthy because they interfere with REM sleep.
45. Caffeine is the world's most popular drug and frequently used _________.
British East India
46. Federal laws which prohibited the sale of alcohol from 1920 to ____ are called prohibition.
47. A BAC of 0.05 results in lowered alertness and a BAC of ____ results in death (lethal dose).
48. Physical dependence involves the need to continue using the drug to avoid __________ symptoms which include sickness and discomfort.
49. The first stage of drug addiction is ______.
Illegal Recreational Use
50. Excessive use of caffeine is called _________.
Link to This Test