Test your basic knowledge |
DSST Substance Abuse
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. College _________ had the lowest rate of current use of illicit drugs.
2. The amount of drug that must be given to obtain a particular response is called _______.
3. Many plant-produced chemicals have effects on the intestines or muscles; others alter ______ biochemistry.
4. One of the most important factors which determine the potency of CNS drugs is the ________________ of the molecules.
Illegal Instrumental Use
5. The primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana and hashish is ___.
6. 'Opioid' is another word for '_____'.
7. The most widely used licit social drug is _______.
8. There are more than one ________ products currently abused as inhalants.
9. By the 1850s - the temperance movement supported not only a ban on distilled spirits but also a ban on all __________ beverages.
10. A BAC of 0.05 results in lowered alertness and a BAC of ____ results in death (lethal dose).
11. When alcohol is heated and the vapors are condensed into liquid form again - the process is called ____________.
12. Only lipid-soluble substances can pass the _____________ barrier.
13. Inhalant abuse can cause _______ - a state of oxygen deficiency in the body.
14. The pharmacological term for alcohol is _______.
15. When nonsmokers inhale cigarette smoke from their ___________ it is called passive smoking.
16. Cross tolerance exists between LSD - mescaline and __________.
Legal Recreational Use
17. Cocaine is absorbed so well into ________ __________ that it remains in use for surgery in the nasal - laryngeal - and esophageal regions.
18. A situation where repeated administration of the same dose of a drug results in gradually ___________ effects is called tolerance.
19. To remove the caffeine - unroasted coffee beans are soaked in an organic ________.
20. The second stage of drug addiction is increased use - in which the user starts to take increased amounts of the drug. This is followed by _____________ - the third stage of drug addiction.
21. ___________ and Chondroitin are both herbal dietary supplements that contribute to joint strength and are used to used to relieve the discomfort of arthritis.
22. Drug testing in sports began in the ____s.
23. Oral ingestion can be compared to intranasal administration (snorting) in that it is absorbed much more _______ than smoking or IV injection.
24. The four ways to administer heroin are sniffing - _______ injection (intramuscular) - smoking - and intravenous injection (mainlining).
25. Legal _______ drugs - ranked by amount of money spent each year: Alcohol ($104 billion) Tobacco ($51.9 billion) Coffee - Tea and Cocoa ($5.7 billion)
26. If all of the following consumed the same amount of alcohol at the same speed - which one would have the highest BAC? (120 pound woman - 135 pound woman - 150 pound man - 170 pound man).
120 pound woman
27. The substitution method of drug detoxification involves _________ the abused substance with a new - less-addicting drug.
28. Molecules that assist in either the metabolism (breaking down) or synthesis (creation) of another molecule are called _______.
29. The buildup of a drug in the body after multiple doses taken at short intervals is called __________ effect.
30. Marinol is a ____________ controlled substance.
31. Ethylene glycol alcohol is poisonous and is a primary ingredient of __________.
32. Crack is also known as '_____'.
33. Hormones and _________________ are two types of chemical signals important for maintaining homeostasis.
34. Drugs which enhance the sense of touch are called ___________.
35. Psychological dependence develops most rapidly when the drug hits the ______ quickly.
36. Nicotine _______ are also known as transdermal nicotine systems.
37. The BBB is very tight and excludes the brain uptake of all ______ molecule drugs and greater than 98% of small molecule drugs.
38. taking prescribed or over the counter (OTC) drugs for illness
Legal Instrumental Use
39. _________________ are commonly prescribed for anxiety disorders.
40. The four stages of alcohol withdrawal are _______ - hallucinations - delusions and seizures.
41. The amount of alcohol that can be metabolized by the liver is about 0.25 to 0.30 _______ per hour.
42. Also known as narcotics - _______ are a group of analgesic drugs that cause a dreamlike state; high doses can induce sleep.
Legal Recreational Use
43. Marinol is used to relieve nausea/vomiting experienced by _______ patients and to help restore appetite to AIDS patients.
44. Considerable evidence supports the idea that some degree of vulnerability to alcohol dependence might be _________.
45. Bupropion is an ________________ used to reduce nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
46. The primary active ingredients contained in cough suppressants are ____________ and expectorants.
47. Synthetic drugs which result from the altered chemical structures of illicit drugs are called __________________.
48. Alcohol is the second leading substance abuse related cause of premature death among Americans (________ is first).
49. Methyl alcohol is added to grain alcohol for industrial use to prevent _________.
Illegal Instrumental Use
50. The unemployed are _____ likely to use illicit drugs than those who are employed.
Link to This Test