Test your basic knowledge |
DSST Substance Abuse
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. _______________ and Ritalin are two drugs commonly used to treat ADHD.
2. The most common age group to report the most illicit drug use is 18 to __.
3. Women are more likely to have problems with ______________ medicines.
4. LSD is one of the most potent ____________ drugs.
Illegal Recreational Use
5. Two forms of cocaine which can be smoked are _____ and coca paste.
6. The human body strives to maintain its internal environment within a certain range (temperature - blood pressure - etc); this ___________ is called homeostasis.
7. Contextual factors refer to how physical ______________ affect drug use; i.e. being at home vs. being in a rock concert or in a dance club.
8. Timothy Leary was a well known psychologist and proponent for the use of ___ in the 1960s.
9. _____ _______ studied cocaine for its potential as a treatment for a variety of ailments including depression and morphine dependence.
10. drug detoxification often relies upon ___________
11. Fluoxetine (_______) is safer than tricyclic antidepressants as it is less likely to lead to overdose death.
12. _____ drug use refers to using a drug with a specific functional purpose--not for recreation
13. ______ cocaine is not water soluble but can be converted to a water soluble cocaine salt if it is dissolved in citric acid ( for example - vinegar or lemon juice).
14. Prozac is the brand name for the antidepressant drug __________. It inhibits the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin.
15. Alcohol dependence as a disease is also known as disease model of alcohol dependence and this concept did not become really popular until ______________________ began to have a major influence in the 1940s and 1950s
16. Adopted sons whose __________ fathers were alcohol dependent have a much greater than average chance of becoming alcohol dependent than adopted sons of non-alcoholic fathers.
17. _________ ________ occurs after using a nasal spray regularly for longer than the recommended period.
18. College _________ had the lowest rate of current use of illicit drugs.
British East India
19. Pharmacodynamic tolerance occurs when the brain attempts to maintain _____________ by altering the nervous system's sensitivity.
20. The SSRI Fluoxetine is the most widely prescribed ______________ drug.
21. Methods of drug testing include urine - ____ - and saliva.
22. This type of alcohol can be added to gasoline to reduce pollution - used in cleaners and _________ - as well as in medical research.
23. Because heroin is more _______ ________ - it is more potent and faster acting than morphine even though the effects of the two substances are identical.
24. Alcohol withdrawal seizures may occur 6 to __ hours after the last drink.
25. 95% pure alcohol is called _____________ spirits
26. In the US - _______ was first used in psychiatry and as a local anesthetic.
27. The important Xanthine varieties are caffeine - theophylline - and _____________.
28. Because of cross tolerance - methadone is effective at reducing the severity and delaying symptoms associated with heroin withdrawal. Methadone is a __________ opioid.
29. Drugs with a high potential for abuse - with a currently accepted _______ use in the US - whose abuse may lead to severe physical or psychological dependence are listed under Schedule II.
30. The ________ the amount needed to get a particular effect - the more potent the drug.
31. The time course of a drug's action depends on many things - including how the drug is administered - how quickly it is ______ - and how it is eliminated from the body.
32. LSD - PCP and mescaline are _____________.
33. The primary active ingredients contained in cough suppressants are ____________ and expectorants.
34. Examples of Schedule II drugs include ________ - opium - and amphetamines.
35. The three types are drug disposition tolerance - behavioral tolerance - and _________________ tolerance.
36. Cause of death with opioid overdose is usually suppressed __________.
37. Precursors are the raw materials from which _________________ are made and are found circulating in the blood supply and generally in the brain.
38. ___________ and Chondroitin are both herbal dietary supplements that contribute to joint strength and are used to used to relieve the discomfort of arthritis.
Illegal Recreational Use
39. The primary purpose for the creation of the 1938 Federal Food - Drug - and Cosmetic Act was ___________.
40. Psilocybin is the active psychoactive ingredient in _______________.
41. Psychotic behavior resulting from a known ________ cause is called an organic disorder.
42. Three stimulants used by athletes in the early 1800s and 1900s were __________ - cocaine - and caffeine.
43. Originally - the __________ movement supported the drinking of beer and wine but was strongly opposed to distilled spirits.
44. Cannabis addiction is ______ harmful than addiction to tobacco - prescription drugs or alcohol.
45. The two ways psychoactive drugs achieve their effect is either by altering availability of the ___________ or by acting directly on the receptor.
46. The preoccupation phase is characterized by _________ concern about the drug.
47. King ______ of England wrote a antitobacco pamphlet and he taxed tobacco to attempt to limit its use.
48. Federal laws which prohibited the sale of alcohol from 1920 to ____ are called prohibition.
49. In the late 1800s the typical ______ user was a middle aged white woman who functioned well and was adjusted to her life as a wife and mother.
50. Two brain imaging techniques are ___ and MRI.
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test