Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Epicure; person who takes excessive pleasure in food and drink
2. (of an animal) feed on growing grass; cause (an animal) to feed on grass; scrape (esp. the skin) or touch lightly in passing; brush; Ex. We can't graze the cattle till summer; N: surface wound
3. Farewell or departure
4. Substitute; person or thing used in place of another; Ex. surrogate mother; ADJ.
5. Sky blue
6. Compulsive habitual need
7. Courteous regard for another's wish; courteous yielding to another's wish or opinion (showing respect); ADJ. deferential; OP. effrontery
8. Moving with a wavelike motion; V. undulate; CF. und: wave
9. Clever and imaginative (in dealing with difficult situations); N. resource - resourcefulness
10. Able to float; cheerful and optimistic; N. buoyancy; Ex. buoyancy of wood/water/American market
11. Plants of a region or era
12. Chain; fetter; confine with shackles; N.
13. Find out for certain; make certain
14. Combination of different things; mixture of metals (containing mercury) used for filling holes in teeth
15. Malleable; pliable; (of metals) easily pulled into shape; flexible; (of someone) easily influenced or controlled
16. Shine intensely and blindingly; stare fixedly and angrily; N.
17. Mental calmness
18. Evil; ominous
20. Place of safety; refuge; harbor; Ex. tax haven
21. Tiresome dwelling on a subject; V. harp: dwell on(think or speak a lot about) tediously
22. Soul; mind
23. Going against; opposing; unfavorable; hostile
24. Of the production of electricity by the action of an acid on a metal; having the effect of an electric shock; Ex. galvanic cell; galvanic effect; CF. Luigi Galvani
25. Of low rank or position; modest; having a low opinion of oneself and a high opinion of others; unassuming; not proud; V. humiliate: make humble; cause to feel ashamed or to lose the respect of others
26. Payments made regularly to an ex-spouse after divorce
27. Essential; inherent; built-in
28. Having only one color
29. Crude cabin
30. Line (of waiting people or vehicles)
31. Pithy maxim or saying; ADJ. aphoristic
32. Conflict; lack of harmony; dissonance (when musical notes are played)
aerie(aery -eyrie -eyry)
33. Excessively exacting; too critical (without noticing good qualities)
34. Refutation; response with contrary evidence; V. rebut: refute; disprove
35. Root up; uproot; destroy completely
36. Giving off an odor
37. Pertaining to conversational or common speech; informal; N. colloquialism: colloquial expression
38. Diligent; assiduous; paying attention; N. sedulity
39. Gloomy; depressed
40. Continue steadily in spite of difficulties
41. Growing or spreading uncontrollably; growing in profusion; unrestrained; Ex. rampant lawlessness/weed
42. Highly excited; intensely curious
43. Cut down; cut down expenses; economize
44. Slip or slide
45. Liberal; wasteful; generous or wasteful in giving or using; abundant; profuse; great; Ex. decorated lavishly; V. give in abundance
46. Illusive; deceptive; not real
47. Inquire impertinently (someone else's private affairs); use leverage to raise or open something; prize; N. pries: tool for prying
48. Attractive; CF. preoccupying ?
49. Element; ingredient
50. Tall column tapering(becoming gradually narrower toward the end) and ending in a pyramid
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test