Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Government ruled by old people
2. Small weakness of character; slight fault; CF. feeble
3. Very bad; detestable
4. Artistic; dealing with or capable of appreciating the beautiful (of a person or building); CF. aesthete; CF. aesthetics
5. Highly gifted child; person with exceptional talents; marvel; wonder
6. Lacking in spirit or energy; languid
7. Not easily satisfied; unquenchable; Ex. insatiable appetite
8. Very important; N. moment; CF. momentary
9. Increase; make greater (as in value - reputation - or usefulness); improve
10. Confuse; make nervous and confused; N.
11. Cause to sprout; sprout
12. Person of high rank or position
13. Immature; not having the feathers necessary to fly; CF. fledgling
14. Spiritual rebirth; Ex. regeneration of the prisoners; V. regenerate: give or obtain new life; reform spiritually
15. Rotting flesh of a dead body; CF. vulture
16. Incurable; uncorrectable; impossible to remedy
17. (of a snake) shed or cast off (dead outer skin); N: outer layer that is shed
18. Last demand; last warning; last statement of conditions that must be met; Ex. They have ignored our ultimatum.
19. Boldness; nerve; rashness; Ex. temerity to ask for a pay increase after only three day's work
20. Temporary encampment; camp without tents; V.
21. Speak equivocally about an issue; N.
22. Waste; spend foolishly
23. Move hastily; hurry; move briskly
24. Upset; distracted by anxiety; very anxious and troubled almost to the point of madness; Ex. distraught with grief/worry
25. Call by bugles or trumpets; showy display; spectacular public display
26. Without guile; open and honest
27. One who installs and repairs pipes and plumbing(pipes)
28. Green coating or patina on copper which has been exposed to the weather
29. Call together; Ex. convoke Parliament; N. convocation
30. Fix or manipulate; manipulate dishonestly for personal gain; Ex. rig the election
31. Pleasant; friendly; in agreement with one's tastes and nature; Ex. congenial weather
32. Deep; not superficial; complete; Ex. profound thinker/remark/silence/deafness; N. profundity
33. Give a personal guarantee; Ex. I can vouch for his integrity; N. voucher
34. Shine erratically; twinkle; N: dim or unsteady light; faint indication; Ex. glimmer of hope
35. Written symbols; number; amount represented in numbers; outline or silhouette of a thing or human body; person (well-known); impression; diagram; pattern; group in a dance; Ex. figure of speech; V. calculate with numbers; adorn with figures; appear;
36. Decree (especially one issued by a sovereign); official command
37. Prominent; projecting beyond a line; conspicuous; Ex. salient features
38. Agitation; commotion(noisy and excited activity); unrest (of a political kind); V. produce by fermentation; undergo fermentation; cause (a state of trouble)
39. Low ship with sails (rowed along by slaves)
40. Intricate; difficult; tangled; CF. knot
41. Make desolate; forsake; abandon and desert
42. Green; covered with green plants or grass; lush in vegetation; Ex. verdant meadows
43. Division of animals or plants - below a family and above a species
44. Name; title
45. Indisputable; incontrovertible; undeniable
46. Failure to act; failure to perform a task or be present; V.
47. Gay; joyous
48. Father and ruler of a family or tribe
49. Hollow; curved inwards; OP. convex
50. Cutting ironic remark; scornful remarks; stinging rebuke; ADJ. sarcastic
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test