Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Stubborn; hard to control or treat; Ex. obstinate cough; N. obstinacy
2. In confusion; disorderly; Ex. dash pell-mell
3. Untidy; careless in work habits; slipshod; N. sloven: one who is habitually untidy or careless
4. Steal (things of small value)
5. An act of yielding; conceding; something conceded; point - right - etc. given unwillingly; privilege of maintaining a business in a certain place; Ex. oil concessions in the North sea; CF. concessionaire
6. Prevent by taking action in advance
7. Be a sign of; foreshadow
8. Stick out; jut; project; Ex. protruding teeth
9. Waterspout carved in grotesque figures on a building
10. Person who turns animal hides into leather
11. Diligent; assiduous; paying attention; N. sedulity
12. Take pleasure in great comfort
14. Elevation to godhood; an ideal example of something
15. Universally present; ubiquitous
16. Bitterness of speech and temper; ADJ. acerbic: bitter; acrid (in taste - manner - or tone)
17. Contradict; give a false impression; disguise; Ex. The poor sales belied our high hopes; Ex. Her smile belies her true feeling of displeasure.
18. Assume a particular posture; put forward; present; affect a particular attitude (to impress others); Ex. pose a threat; N.
19. List; mention one by one
20. Huge creature; something of monstrous size or power
21. Slope; inclined plane or roadway (connecting two levels)
22. Root up; uproot; destroy completely
23. Profitable; producing wealth
24. Shaving of the head especially by person entering religious orders; V.
25. Reject bluntly; snub; beat back; Ex. She rebuffed his invitation; N.
26. Inattentive or unmindful; unaware; wholly absorbed; forgetful(having the habit of forgetting)
27. Use of force to get someone to object; compelling; V. coerce
28. Act of providing; something provided; preparatory measure; provisions: necessary supplies (esp. food); stipulation; condition in an agreement; Ex. According to the provisions of the agreement
29. Close observation of a person (esp. one under suspicion); watching; guarding
31. Habitual return to crime (even after being punished); N. recidivist
32. Holding tenaciously to an action; stubborn; persistent
33. Leap or spring; limit or confine; constitute the limit of; Ex. bounded by Canada; N: leap or jumping; boundary; ADJ: certain; having a duty to do something (legally or morally); confined by bonds; Ex. We are bound to be late; Ex. I am bound to say my
34. Prescribed course of diet or exercise; prescribed diet and habits; Ex. daily regimen of a dancer
35. Plant or scatter seed
36. (of a place) deserted; unpopulated; (of a person) lonely; forlorn; joyless
37. Living language (as compared to the official language); language spoken in a country or region; natural style; Ex. lapse into the vernacular
38. Vertebrate animal whose female suckles its young
39. Assumption; hypothesis; surmise; V. suppose
40. Give up; do without
41. Withdrawal; retreat; time of low economic activity
42. Neglect of duty; abandonment
43. Like a fox; crafty
44. Produce a design in raised relief; decorate with a raised design
45. Approve formally; confirm; verify
47. Trembling; slight quiver (as of the earth or from nervous agitation)
48. Revert (to bad habits); N. reverter
49. Dilemma; state of uncertainty; Ex. She is in a quandary about whether to go.
50. List of works of music - drama - etc. - a performer is prepared to present; CF. repertory
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test