Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Legal delay of payment or action; Ex. declare moratorium on the building of new houses
2. Subordinating the individual to the state; completely dominating another's will; Ex. authoritarian regime/father
3. One part at a time; gradually; in stages; Ex. read a novel piecemeal
4. Miscellaneous; various; several; N. sundries: small miscellaneous items
5. In agreement; harmonious; corresponding; coinciding exactly; CF. congruous
6. Pardon (an offense)
7. Diligent; hard-working; N. industry
9. Leave helpless on a deserted island or coast; ADJ. red brown
10. Commonplace; trite
11. Worldly as opposed to spiritual; everyday; of the ordinary; Ex. mundane existence; CF. world
12. Fall or let fall in drops; shed drops; N: action or sound of falling in drops; liquid that falls in drops
13. Immature; half-baked; like a sophomore
14. Prevent in advance; head off(forestall); forestall by acting first; appropriate for oneself before others; supplant; take the place of; displace; Ex. preempt any attempts; ADJ. preemptive
15. Direct a speech to; speak to; deal with or discuss; direct one's efforts or attention to; make with a destination; N: formal speech
16. Quality of being provident; divine care; god's care; Providence: god; Ex. It seemed like providence that the doctor happened to be there; ADJ. providential: of divine providence; fortunate
17. Renounce; give up (position - right - or responsibility)
18. Burden; very worriying problem; mental care; nightmare; male devil; CF. succubus
19. Projection; conjecture; V. extrapolate: infer (unknown information) from known information
20. Greatness (in size or extent); extent
21. Extreme confusion; great commotion and confusion; Ex. throw the country into turmoil
22. Make or become black by burning; reduce or be reduced to carbon or charcoal(black substance made by burning wood) by incomplete combustion
23. (of weather) hot or scorching; passionate; Ex. torrid love affairs
24. Ornamental clasp; pin
25. Going against; opposing; unfavorable; hostile
26. Behavior (of children) causing trouble with no serious harm; damage; harm; Ex. mischief to the crops; ADJ. mischievous: causing mischief; playfully troublesome
27. Something preceding in time which may be used as an authority or guide for future action; V. precede; CF. unprecedented
28. Right and power to apply the law; authority
29. Gallop slowly
30. Excessively fat; N. obesity
31. Formal essay; treatise
32. Omen; prophecy; sign of coming events; V. augur: predict; foretell; be a sign of (something in future)
33. Difficult condition; condition or state (esp. a bad state or condition); predicament
34. Sleight(dexterity) of hand; CF. light of hand
35. Sweet sounding; pleasing to the ear; melodious
36. One who has more than one spouse at a time; CF. bigamy; CF. polyandry
37. Return of part of a payment; discount; V.
38. Gross lewdness; lustfulness; ADJ. lecherous; N. lecher: lecherous man
39. Reprove severely; rebuke; N.
40. Restrain; prohibit; retard or prevent; N. inhibition
41. Incapable of injury; impossible to damage or injure
42. Violent; hasty; rash; impulsive; without careful thought; Ex. impetuous decision
43. Effective; distinct; expressing ideas clearly; having clear sounds; having joints; Ex. articulate speech; V: express thoughts and feeling clearly; pronounce clearly; unite by joints
44. Restrain; handcuff; N.
45. Irritation; resentment from wounded pride (eg. loss in a contest); V: provoke; arouse; annoy; cause to feel resentment; Ex. pique her curiosity
46. Official periodical publication; newspaper
47. Pertaining to marriage
48. Self-governing; N. autonomy
49. Related to monks or monasteries; removed from worldly concerns
50. Become worse in quality; deteriorate; ADJ: having become worse; Ex. a degenerate species; N: depraved or corrupt person
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test