Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Brave and successful act; deed or action - particularly a brave deed; CF. crossing the Atlantic ocean
2. Ward off a blow; deflect; Ex. He parried the unwelcome question very skillfully; N.
3. All-powerful; having unlimited power
4. Remembering; honoring the memory of; Ex. commemorative stamp
5. Social or moral custom; established practice; formal meeting; international agreement
6. Door bar; fastening pin or screw; length of fabric; large roll of cloth; V: dash or dart off; fasten (a door); gobble down
7. Unoriginal; obtained from another source; Ex. derivative prose style; N.
8. Shine with a flickering light; glimmer intermittently; Ex. The moonlight shimmered on the water; N.
9. Ability to change in form; fickleness; ADJ. mutable: able to change; fickle; CF. mutate; CF. mutant
10. Miser; excessively frugal person
11. Cancel; remove a word or name (from a book or list); erase
12. Miscellaneous; various; several; N. sundries: small miscellaneous items
13. Division of animals or plants - below a family and above a species
14. Pierce (with a sharp point); Ex. impaled by the spear
15. Slovenly; careless; sloppy; untidy; shabby; Ex. slipshod work
16. Pertaining to marriage
17. Done slyly and secretly (being dishonest)
18. Make invalid; make null; invalidate
19. Hang about/around; stand idly about; linger
20. Tiresome dwelling on a subject; V. harp: dwell on(think or speak a lot about) tediously
21. Thin; slim; rare
22. Poem or song expressing lamentation (for the dead); ADJ. elegiacal - elegiac
23. Slavish; cringing; N. servility
25. Disheveled; uncared for in appearance; not combed; CF. comb
26. Dead; no longer in use or existence
27. After death (as of child born after father's death or book published after author's death); coming or occurring after one's death; Ex. posthumous fame/novel
28. Teach (ideas or principles); instill
29. Article treating a subject systematically and thoroughly
30. Approve; support; write one's signature on the back of; N. endorsement; CF. dorsal
31. Pertaining to money
32. Causing deep feelings of wonder - joy - respect - etc.; exalted; noble and uplifting; utter
33. Make or become confused; muddle; drive crazy; become rotten (egg)
34. Saturate(soak thoroughly); fill; Ex. imbue someone with feelings
35. Prudent; judicious; well judged; expedient; well devised
36. Prayer for help (used in invoking); calling upon as a reference or support; act of invoking
37. Indirect; slanting (deviating from the perpendicular or from a straight line); Ex. oblique reference
39. Shut; close; obstruct; Ex. A blood clot occluded an artery.
40. Profane; violate the sanctity of
41. Tiny; weak; insignificant
42. Healthful; conducive to health or well-being; socially desirable; Ex. salubrious area; CF. health
43. Mischance; ill luck; Ex. death by misadventure
44. Clearly different from others of the same kind
45. Great influence (especially political or social); hard blow with fist
46. Rate of occurrence; particular occurrence; Ex. high incidence of infant mortality
47. Humbleness of spirit
48. Stubborn; refusing to change one's belief
49. Below the threshold of conscious perception; Ex. subliminal advertisement
50. Swamp gas; heavy vaporous atmosphere often emanating from decaying matter; pervasive corrupting influence; noxious atmosphere or influence
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test