Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Uncouple; separate; disconnect; stop fighting; OP. engage
2. Lack of premeditation; naturalness; freedom from constraint; ADJ. spontaneous: self-generated; unpremeditated; happening without being planned
3. Something of little importance or value; small amount; Ex. a trifle; V: treat without seriousness; flirt
4. Recover; put right; find and bring in; regain; Ex. retrieve the situation
5. Pretending to be virtuous; deceiving; N. hypocrisy: profession of beliefs one does not possess; CF. hypocrite
6. Moving slowly; sluggish; inactive; (of a rope) loose; negligent; lax; Ex. slack season; Ex. slack in one's work; N. V.
7. Bend or hang downward; become weakened; Ex. His shoulders drooped with tiredness; N.
8. Roman outer robe
9. Deep prolonged unconsciousness caused by disease - poison - or a severe blow
10. Plundering; destruction
11. Defamation; utterance of false and malicious statements; V. ADJ. slanderous
12. Good fortune and financial success; physical well-being
13. Change (esp. from good to bad); change of fortune; CF. the last emperor of China
14. Please; satisfy; Ex. gratify a desire
15. Behave in a way that attracts (sexual) attention; deal triflingly with; N: one (or woman) given to flirting; ADJ. flirtatious
16. Remove (forcibly); force out of a position; Ex. dislodge the food caught in his throat; CF. lodge
17. Spot; mark with flecks; N: small mark or spot
18. Lay eggs (in large numbers); produce offspring (in large numbers); N: eggs of aquatic animals
19. Thwart; defeat; prevent from accomplishing a purpose
20. Pertaining to the body; bodily; physical
21. Highly pretentious or inflated
22. Expressing possibility; latent; N: capacity for growth
23. Keep waiting; prevent from leaving or going; N. detention
24. Enthusiastic applause
25. Work of art put together from fragments
26. Confuse thoroughly
27. Ostentatious; showy; pompous; making unjustified claims; overambitious; Ex. pretentious films that claim to be art
28. Being everywhere; omnipresent; N. ubiquity
29. Holding tenaciously to an action; stubborn; persistent
30. Vicious assault; fierce attack; Ex. unexpected onslaught of the enemy
31. Sensual; of or giving sensual pleasure; indulging in sensual pleasures; Ex. voluptuous lines; Ex. voluptuous life of the Romans; N. voluptuary: voluptuous person
32. Seriousness; ADJ. grave
33. Immature; not having the feathers necessary to fly; CF. fledgling
34. Deserve; ADJ. meritorious: deserving reward or praise
35. Pertaining to land or its cultivation; Ex. agrarian reform
36. Ceremonious quality; ceremonious adherence to rules; something done just for form's sake; Ex. mere formality
37. Trite remark; commonplace statement; ADJ. platitudinous
38. Poke (with a pointed object); stir up; urge; goad to action; N: pointed object used to prod; prodding
39. One who is habitually cruel to weaker people; V.
40. Of a member of the cat family; N.
41. Disagreement of opinions causing strife within a group
42. Set limits in amount or number; be thrifty; ADJ. stinting - unstinting; CF. stint:savings
43. Form of literature in which irony - sarcasm - and ridicule are employed to attack human vice and folly
44. Period of equal days and nights; the beginning of spring and autumn; Ex. vernal/autumnal equinox; ADJ. equinoctial
45. Include; consist of
46. Aversion; dislike or opposition
47. Evident; visible; obvious; V: show plainly
48. Brief and to the point; using few words; terse
49. Concise and meaningful; substantial; meaty
50. Pertaining to heat; producing heat; warm; Ex. thermal bath; N: rising current of warm air
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test