Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. (of a bird with large wings) wave (the wings) lightly - rapidly - and irregularly; vibrate rapidly or erratically; fly by waving quickly; flitter; N.
2. Tickle; excite pleasantly; Ex. not to titillate the audience but to enlighten it
3. Soften by soaking in liquid; waste away; Ex. macerate powdered wood to make paper
4. Degrade; reduce in quality or value; degenerate; lower in esteem; disgrace; N. debasement
5. Bear one's self; behave; Ex. comport oneself; N. comportment
6. Hard but easily broken; difficult; unstable; Ex. brittle situation
7. Disobedience; rebelliousness; ADJ. insubordinate
8. Disregard; regard (a story or news) as unimportant; deduct from a cost
9. Link as in a chain
10. Repeat aloud (something learned); describe; Ex. recite his complaints; N. recitation
11. Branching out; subdivision; one branch of a system; one of the results following from an action or decision; Ex. ramifications of a business/the decision
12. Make necessary; require; necessitate; involve; limit the inheritance of (property) to a specified succession of heirs; Ex. entail A on/upon B
13. Swirling current of water - air - etc.; V.
14. Announce; proclaim a doctrine or law; make known by official publication
15. Mythical figure - half man and half horse
16. Slander; speak evil of; N. vilification
17. Infringe; encroach; influence; touch; collide with; Ex. The effects are impinging on every aspect of our lives.
18. Untidy; careless in work habits; slipshod; N. sloven: one who is habitually untidy or careless
19. Into parts; apart; V. sunder
20. Territory enclosed within an alien land
21. Unoriginal; obtained from another source; Ex. derivative prose style; N.
22. Easily burned; N. CF. combustion
23. Nonstandard grammatical construction; construction that is flagrantly incorrect grammatically; violation of social etiquette
24. Unbeliever (with respect to a particular religion)
26. Not genuine; N: one that is not genuine; impostor; sham; V: counterfeit; Ex. fake the results of the experiment/the signature
27. Lacking rhythm or regularity; N. arrhythmia
28. Binding agreement between two groups or people; compact; V: enter into a covenant; promise
29. Intelligent; quick and energetic; fashionable; Ex. smart pace/restaurant; V: cause or feel a sharp pain; N: smarting pain
30. Agent which brings about a chemical change while it remains unaffected and unchanged; CF. catalysis
32. (of a heart or machine) beat rapidly or violently; N. Ex. hearthrob: heartbeat; sweetheart
33. Rubbing away by friction; gradual decrease in numbers or strength; reduction in the work force without firing employees; wearing away of opposition by means of harassment; Ex. a war of attrition
34. Squander; waste foolishly; scatter
35. Insolent; without shame; bold; Ex. brazen lie; V: face with bold self-assurance or with unshamed confidence
36. Happiness; appropriateness (of a remark - choice - etc.); quality of being felicitous
37. Turn upside down or inside out; reverse the position or condition of
38. Official periodical publication; newspaper
39. Painting in only one color; ADJ.
40. Envy; give or allow unwillingly; grudge; Ex. We shouldn't begrudge him his success.
41. Highly gifted child; person with exceptional talents; marvel; wonder
42. Knowledge; ADJ. cognizant; having knowledge; aware
44. State without proof
45. Bring upon oneself
46. Having a common origin; related linguistically; allied by blood; similar or akin in nature; Ex. cognate languages; N.
47. Preceding (in time - rank - etc.)
48. Carefully contrived; calculated; unspontaneous; deliberate; thoughtful; Ex. studied remark
49. Arrangement by rank or standing; authoritarian body divided into ranks; body of persons having authority
50. Mysterious; hidden; secret