Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Earthen or stone embankment to prevent flooding; CF. raise
2. Central or vital part; core; whole seed (as of corn)
3. Attach; add to a large thing; take possession of; incorporate (territory) into a larger existing political unit (by force); N: building added to a large one
4. Predicament(dangerous condition) from which there is no escape; situation allowing for no further progress
5. Rushing stream; flood; Ex. The rain fell in torrents.
6. Determine or seek opinions - votes - etc.; go through (a region) to solicit votes or orders; conduct a survey; N.
7. Destroy or wear away gradually by chemical action (over a long period)
8. Pertaining to drama; N: actor or actress
9. (of a person) suffer from oppressive heat; be oppressed by heat
11. Steadiness of effort; persistent hard work
12. Bitter scolding or denunciation; invective; abuse
13. Legal claim or right on a property
14. Prophetic; oracular; N. sibyl: woman prophet (in the ancient world)
15. Deceiving; based on illusion; causing illusion; deceptive
16. Attractive; agreeable; having a pleasing appearance
17. Lean and angular; thin and bony; emaciated; barren
18. Put on; OP. doff
20. Let down; lessen the force of; moderate; restrain; Ex. with bated breath; CF. abate
21. Give a slight degree of a color or quality to; N: slight degree of a color or quality; Ex. tinged with grey/jealousy
22. Infallibly; ADJ. unerring: making no mistakes
23. Terrible; very bad
24. Protruding(sticking out); conspicuous; notable; eminent
25. Distasteful (because excessive); excessively sweet or sentimental; V. cloy: become unpleasant through too much sweetness or excess
26. Disloyal; cowardly; N: disloyal and cowardly person
27. Despicable; unpleasant; disgusting; Ex. vile slander
28. Bitterness of feeling; nerve; effrontery; CF. gall bladder
29. Swayed by sentiment; appealing to the sentiments
30. Branch out; divide into branches or subdivisions
31. Play or frolic boisterously; gambol; N.
32. Misleading vision or visual image; false idea or belief; CF. delusion
33. Private secret meeting
34. Heavy substance used to add stability or weight; V. supply with ballast
35. Related; belonging to the same group; similar in nature or character; Ex. kindred languages; N: relative; kin; kinship
36. Division into factions (esp. within a religious body); split
37. Shine with a flickering light; glimmer intermittently; Ex. The moonlight shimmered on the water; N.
38. Abandon; give up (by formal announcement); disown; repudiate; Ex. renounce one's claim to the property/one's religion; N. renunciation
39. Bearlike; pertaining to a bear
40. Associate with; keep company; N: husband or wife (or a ruler)
41. Uncertain; not clearly fixed; indefinite
42. Stormy; violent; impassioned; N. tempest: violent storm
43. Plead; ask earnestly
44. Compose on the spur of the moment
45. Poke (with a pointed object); stir up; urge; goad to action; N: pointed object used to prod; prodding
46. Fern leaf; palm or banana leaf
47. Chatter rapidly or unintelligibly
48. Complicated situation (as in a play); painful or complex misunderstanding (as in a play); entanglement; confused mass (as of papers); V. embroil
49. Like wood
50. Surface texture; completeness of execution
The Only Encyclopedia of Self Help,
Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Guides | 5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills Covered
Get The Value of 100+ Best Books in 1 Book.
502 Pages | $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test