Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Full of initiative; showing enterprise
2. Bear fruit; produce fruit
3. Throb; beat rapidly; flutter; tremble; Ex. Her heart began to palpitate.
4. Estimate value of; N. appraisal
5. Christian religious ceremony; CF. Mass: ceremony of the Eucharist
6. Done secretly; secret; furtive; sneaky; hidden
7. Pride; haughtiness; ADJ. arrogant: unpleasantly self-important (with a strong confidence in one's own importance and a lack of respect for other people)
8. Excessive or uncontrollable excitement; N. hysteric: person suffering from hysteria; CF. hysterics: attack of hysteria
9. Direct financial aid by government - etc.; V. subsidize: assist with a subsidy
10. Art of versification; study of the metrical structure of verse
11. Pertaining to conversational or common speech; informal; N. colloquialism: colloquial expression
12. Prohibit; forbid; N.
13. Belief that life is basically bad or evil; gloominess; tendency to take the gloomiest possible view of a situation; ADJ. pessimistic
14. State of reacting readily to appeals - orders - etc.; ADJ. responsive: readily reacting; Ex. responsive to treatment
15. Framework and working parts of an automobile; framework to which components are attached
16. Seek to attain (position or status); long for; Ex. aspire to become president; Ex. aspire to/after the leadership
17. Make or become black by burning; reduce or be reduced to carbon or charcoal(black substance made by burning wood) by incomplete combustion
18. Narrow neck of land connecting two larger bodies of land
19. Oppose with arguments; attempt to refute; contradict; ADJ. controversial; N. controversy
21. Person of no importance; nonexistence
22. Burn unsteadily or fitfully; move waveringly; N: flickering movement or light; brief sensation; Ex. flicker of excitement
23. (of a person or speech) using high sounding or important-sounding language; pompous; bombastic
24. Not thick; thinly scattered; scanty
25. Pharisee: member of an ancient Jewish group that emphasized strict observance of the Mosaic law (considering themselves very holy); hypocritical self-righteous person
26. Selective; composed of elements drawn from disparate sources; selecting individual elements from a variety of sources; N. eclecticism
27. Unprejudiced; free from bias and self-interest; objective
28. Worthless products of an endeavor; husk(outer seed cover) separated from grain; Ex. separate the wheat from the chaff
30. Humorous imitation; spoof; takeoff; travesty; V.
31. Mixture of writings on various subjects; collection of various items
32. Having no equal; incomparable
34. Haughty; arrogant; condescending; patronizing; CF. eyebrow - cilium
35. Peak; pinnacle; highest point
36. Composed (with no excitement); grave; V: administer a sedative to; CF. sedative
37. Expressing possibility; latent; N: capacity for growth
38. Poor; destitute
39. Trip especially one taken for pleasure by an official at public expense
40. Stinging; caustic; bitter in words or manner; N. acrimony: bitter ill-natured animosity in speech or behavior
41. Weightless; that cannot undergo precise evaluation; CF. pound
42. Steal (things of small value)
43. Explain; interpret; Ex. construe her silence as meaning that she agreed; CF. misconstrue
44. Supporter; voter; member of a constituency; component
45. Grow rapidly; grow forth; send out buds; Ex. burgeoning computer industry; CF. bludgeon
46. Renounce under oath; abandon; make a solemn promise to give up; CF. abjure
47. Disobedience; rebelliousness; ADJ. insubordinate
48. Indirect; slanting (deviating from the perpendicular or from a straight line); Ex. oblique reference
49. Vicious assault; fierce attack; Ex. unexpected onslaught of the enemy
50. Make necessary; require; necessitate; involve; limit the inheritance of (property) to a specified succession of heirs; Ex. entail A on/upon B
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test