Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Report; record (in chronological order)
2. Nest of a large bird of prey
aerie(aery -eyrie -eyry)
3. Supplying nourishment
4. Small drawing placed at the beginning or end of a chapter; picture; short literary sketch; short written description of a character or scene
5. Throw lightly; move or lift (the head) with a sudden motion; flip (a coin) to decide something
6. Firm dislike
7. Become worse in quality; deteriorate; ADJ: having become worse; Ex. a degenerate species; N: depraved or corrupt person
8. (of land) rising and falling in long gentle slopes; happening continuously by stages; Ex. rolling devolution of power to local governments
9. Done or active at night; Ex. nocturnal animals/raids; CF. nocturne
10. Extremely aggressive and militant patriot; warlike chauvinist; N. jingoism: extreme nationalism
11. Ridicule; treat with contempt; make fun of; OP. respect
12. Give up temporarily; yield; N. waiver: waiving a right or claim; document that waives a right or claim
13. Introduce as a subject; moot; open up
14. Aggressiveness; ferocity; ADJ. truculent: aggressive; pugnacious; fierce
15. Turn into a god; make a god of; idolize; Ex. Kings were deified; CF. deity
16. Brief explanation note or translation of a difficult expression; V.
17. Logically convincing; sound; legally acceptable; effective; Ex. valid reasoning/passport
18. Advantage; anything that brings helpl - advantage - or profit; money provided by the government to the people; fund-raising public entertainment; Ex. unemployment benefit; V: receive benefits; be beneficial to; give benefits
19. Hindrance; stumbling-block; speech defect preventing clear articulation; Ex. speech impediment
20. Insert between
21. Core or marrow; spongelike substance in the center of stems; essence; substance
22. Explanatory; serving to explain; N. exposition: explaining; exhibition
23. Delicate; very finely made; extremely beautiful; Ex. exquisite piece of jewelry
24. Not essential; minor; N: something incidental
25. Accustom or familiarize; addict
26. Wise; perceptive; shrewd; having insight; N. sagacity
27. Trifles; unimportant matters
28. Return of part of a payment; discount; V.
29. Clever and imaginative (in dealing with difficult situations); N. resource - resourcefulness
30. (of someone) suspicious; wary; cautious
31. Resentment; anger; sense of injury or insult; Ex. take umbrage at his rudeness
32. Harshness; intensity; sternness; austerity; ADJ. severe: harsh; strict; extremely violent or intense
33. Shield; protection; defense
34. Wretch; wrongdoer; villain; Ex. kindness to the miscreant; CF. believe
35. Medical condition in which the skin - the white part of the eyes - etc. turn yellow; V: affect with jaundice; affect with prejudice - envy - or hostility; bias
36. Serving to assist; subordinate; secondary; of a subsidy; N.
37. Time of greatest success or power; prime
38. Assemble; gather; accumulate; make (a report or a book) from facts and information found in various places; Ex. compile a dictionary
39. Assumption; postulate; proposition upon which an argument is based
40. Expressiveness; persuasive speech; ADJ. eloquent: movingly expressive; expressing ideas well so that the hearers can be influeneced
41. Balance; balancing force; equilibrium
42. Participation; involvement (in a questionable act or a crime)
43. Study industriously; ponder; scrutinize; Ex. pore over the book; N.
44. Diminish; weaken; undermine the foundations of (a fortification); Ex. The element kryptonite sapped his strength.
45. Official with power to administer the law
46. Illegitimate child
47. Act of providing; something provided; preparatory measure; provisions: necessary supplies (esp. food); stipulation; condition in an agreement; Ex. According to the provisions of the agreement
48. Movable; not fixed; N. mobility
49. Having a fixed order of procedure; precisely defined; invariable; fixed; conclusive; final
50. Fall apart into tangles; entangle; unravel or untwist