Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Impossible to reconcile; incompatible; not able to be resolved
2. Behavior (of children) causing trouble with no serious harm; damage; harm; Ex. mischief to the crops; ADJ. mischievous: causing mischief; playfully troublesome
3. Expel; drive out; force out; N. ouster: ousting
4. Distorted; crooked; bent; Ex. Our plans have gone awry.
5. Kind in a generous way (to someone less important)
6. Abandon; give up (by formal announcement); disown; repudiate; Ex. renounce one's claim to the property/one's religion; N. renunciation
7. Boasted; bragged; highly publicized; V. vaunt: boast; brag
8. Handle roughly; batter; injure by beating; Ex. mauled by his overexcited fans; N: heavy long-handled hammer
9. Walk; trample; N: grooved face of a tire; horizontal part of a step
10. Sour; bad-tempered; peevish; difficult to read as handwriting
11. Differing in some characteristics (from each other); various; N. diversity: variety; dissimilitude; lack of resemblance
12. One who hates mankind; misanthropist
13. Unrestrained; gratuitously cruel; willfully malicious; unchaste; sexually improper; promiscuous; Ex. wanton spending/killing; CF. having no just cause
14. Indirect in speech (when something unpleasant must be said); hypocritical; evasive
15. Servile flatterer; bootlicker; yes man; ADJ. sycophantic
16. Person of prominence or influence; powerful or influential person (in business or industry); Ex. oil magnate
17. Formless; lacking shape or definition
18. Agreeable; lovable; warmly friendly
19. Pertaining to mental dearrangement; N. psychopath: person with an antisocial personality disorder
20. Not easily satisfied; unquenchable; Ex. insatiable appetite
21. Vertebrate animal whose female suckles its young
22. Foreshadow; portend
23. Story - play - or picture in which characters are used as symbols; fable
24. Honesty; uprightness; wholeness; state of being whole and undivided; completeness
25. Powerful person; Ex. oil moguls; CF. Mogol - Moghul; CF. Mongolian
26. Stick out; jut; project; Ex. protruding teeth
27. Pry; move with a lever; value highly; esteem; Ex. his most prized possession; N: something captured during war-time (esp. an enemy ship)
28. Examination of accounts of a business; official examination; V.
29. Skillful; skill in using hands or mind; N. dexterity
30. Throb; beat rapidly; flutter; tremble; Ex. Her heart began to palpitate.
31. Raised platform for speech-making; pulpit
32. Looking back on the past; N. retrospection; V. retrospect
33. Bookish; showing off learning; marked by an excessive ostentatious concern for book learning; N. pedantry
34. Without definite purpose - plan - or aim; haphazard; Ex. random shots; Ex. chosen at random
35. Torn ragged wound; V. lacerate: tear (the skin as with broken glass); wound
36. Make or become confused; muddle; drive crazy; become rotten (egg)
37. Make a harsh noise; have an unpleasant effect; shred by rubbing against a rough surface; Ex. grated cheese N: framework of metal bars to hold fuel in a fireplace
38. Weak and in bad condition from old age or hard use; Ex. decrepit old chair/man
39. Letter; written statement; CF. sent
40. Postponement or cancelation of a punishment; temporary stay; V: postpone or cancel the punishment of
41. Treacherous; disloyal; N. perfidy: treachery
42. Tell in confidence (to a person one trusts); be confident about
43. Error; stupid mistake
44. Crush into mash; convert into mash; N: mixture of ground grain and nutrients fed to livestock and fowl
45. Nimbleness; ability to move quickly
46. Chew over and over (mentally or - like cows - physically); mull over(ponder)
47. Deserving reverence; N: priest
48. Druggist; pharmacist
49. One who supplicates; ADJ.
50. Change (esp. from good to bad); change of fortune; CF. the last emperor of China
GET PROVEN ADVICE FROM 100+ BEST
BOOKS IN 1 BOOK
The World's First & Only Encyclopedia of
Self Help, Self Improvement & Career Advice
250+ Easy-to-Follow Guides
5000+ Proven Tips
13 Types of Essential Skills
502 Pages | Just $3.99 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test