Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Party; clique (within a large group); dissension
2. Emit (an unpleasant odor or smoke); give off an unpleasant odor; give out smoke; Ex. reeking chimney; N: unpleasant odor; stench
3. Fantastic; comically hideous; strange and unnatural (causing fear or amusement)
4. Name (of a book - film - etc.); mark of rank; formal appellation as of rank or office (such as Lord or General); right or claim to possession; championship; Ex. title as head of the family; Ex. title to the estate
5. Projecting molding on building (usually above columns or pillars)
6. Serving to assist; subordinate; secondary; of a subsidy; N.
7. Willingness to take new ventures; initiative; business organization; plan (that is difficult or daring); Ex. their latest enterprise to sail round the world in a small boat
8. Break (a law); defile; desecrate; assault sexually; Ex. violate graves
9. Mongrel; mixed breed; V. hybridize
10. Manlike; resembling a human being; N.
11. Nonmoral; having no understanding of right and wrong
12. Cut to pieces with ax or sword; chop; N.
13. Small round piece of medicine; flat piece of stone or metal bearing an inscription; Ex. stone tablet on the wall
14. Worn through till the threads show; shabby and poor; hackneyed; Ex. threadbare excuses
15. Condition or period of flowering
16. Defraud a person of something; swindle; Ex. mulct the boy of his legacy
17. Stinginess; excessive frugality; ADJ. parsimonious
18. Short poem idealizing rural life; simple happy period of life (in the country); scene from such a time; Ex. idyll of two young lovers
19. Greatness (in size or extent); extent
20. Voters represented by an elected official; district so represented; group of supporters (or constituents)
21. Arrogance; excessive self-conceit
22. Firm statement that something is certainly true; promise or pledge; certainty; confidence in one's own ability; self-confidence; Ex. In spite of all his assurances - he did not come back; Ex. assurance of his loyalty; Ex. The teacher lacked assurance
23. Shine brightly with flashing points of light; Ex. glittering diamond ring; N: sparkling light; attractiveness; glamor; Ex. glitter of the sun on the waves
24. Convert (hide) into leather; make brown by exposure to the sun
25. Countercharges; V. recriminate
26. Sleep-causing; marked by sleepiness; drowsy
27. Heat; passion; zeal; ADJ. ardent
29. Reservoir or water tank
31. Right or privilege granted by authority; right to vote; license to sell a product in a particular territory
32. Hollow; curved inwards; OP. convex
33. Simultaneous discharge of a number of shots; V.
34. Compelling immediate action; pressing; persistent; importunate; Ex. urgent in his demands
35. Cover with a thin and shiny surface; apply a glaze to; N: thin - smooth - shiny coating (as for pottery); Ex. unglazed pottery
36. Swirling current of water - air - etc.; V.
37. Confuse thoroughly
38. Metal-bearing vein(long deposit of an ore)
39. Border; edge - rim - or margin; Ex. on the verge of: very near to; V: border on
40. Make invalid; make null; invalidate
41. Make poor; deprive of natural strength or something important; Ex. impoverished soil
42. (of the senses) sharp; quickly perceptive; keen; penetrating; brief and severe; Ex. acute sense of smell/analysis/pain
43. Sceptic; doubter; person who suspends judgment until he has examined the evidence supporting a point of view; ADJ. skeptical; N. skepticism; scepticism
44. Make unnecessary; get rid of; Ex. obviate the need
46. Of a pole; characterized by opposite extremes; Ex. polar opposites
47. Quick clever reply
48. Dissenting (with an opinion - a group - or a government); rebellious; N.
49. Crisis; point in time; joining point; joint; act of joining
50. Quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument (which distinguishes it from others of the same pitch)
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test