Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Desecrating; profane; N. sacrilege: desecration - misuse - or theft of something sacred
2. Study of prehistoric life or fossils; CF. paleo-: ancient or prehistoric; Ex. paleography: study of ancient written documents
3. Flexible; supple; pliable; V.
4. Effort; expenditure of much physical work; V. exert oneself: make a great effort
5. Make stupid in mind; cause to appear or become stupid or inconsistent; suppress; frustrate or hinder; Ex. stultifying effect of uninteresting work; Ex. stultify free expression
6. (of a sound) grate on (eg. nerves); make a harsh noise; have an unpleasant effect; rub with something rough; Ex. The cat's tongue rasped my hand.
7. Causing insensitivity to pain; N.
8. Wrong or improper name; incorrect designation
9. Without hope and courage; depressed; gloomy; N. despondency: loss of hope with gloom; dejection
10. Quarrelsome; controversial; likely to cause arguments
11. Wicked; immoral; unrighteous; N. iniquity; Ex. den of iniquity
12. Solidly uniform; unchangeable; unyielding; N. monolith: large block of stone
13. Having an aversion or lack of concern for political affairs
14. Of marriage or the wedding ceremony; N; nuptials; wedding ceremony
15. Resemblance to remote ancestors rather than to parents; reversion to an earlier type; throwback; ADJ. atavistic
16. Gigantic statue; person or thing of great size or importance
17. Build; lie; make up (a story) in order to deceive; Ex. fabricate the whole story; CF. fabric: underlying structure; Ex. fabric of society
18. Occupying a lower rank; inferior; submissive; N. V: put in a lower rank or class
19. Appearance of truth; quality of appearing to be true or real; likelihood; Ex. verisimilitude of her performance as Lady Macbeth
20. Effusively sentimental
21. Encouraging; exhortive; marked by exhortation; CF. exhort
22. Relentless; unyielding; implacable; not capable of being changed by entreaty or efforts; Ex. inexorable price rises
23. Monumental tomb; large stately tomb; CF. Mausolos
24. Very small
25. Become red in the face (from embarrassment or shame); become red or rosy; N.
26. Dreamily or deeply thoughtful; sadly thoughtful; thoughtful with a hint of sadness; contemplative; CF. think over
27. Summit; highest point; PL. vertices
28. Seniority by birth; state of being the first-born child; right of the eldest child (to inherit the entire property of one or both parents)
29. Narrow valley with steep sides; gorge; CF. gully - canyon
30. Change the appearance of (by marking with different colors)
31. Not shiny; matte; having a dull finish; N: flat piece of material used as a floor covering; V.
32. Favorable; auspicious; advantageous; fortunate; Ex. propitious day/sign
33. Trail of ship or other object through water; path of something that has gone before; Ex. hunger followed in the wake of the war
34. State of depression or melancholy; style of slow - mournful music (evolved from southern Black American songs)
35. Teaching; art of education
36. Poke abruptly with something sharp; punch with short blows
37. Sad and lonely; wretched; desolate
39. Distance around something; circumference
40. Give shape to; make; Ex. fashion the pot out of clay
41. Ideal place - state - or society; ADJ. utopian
42. Deception; trickery
43. Pertaining to a bishop or pope; pompous or pretentious; CF. pontiff: pope; bishop
44. Logically convincing; sound; legally acceptable; effective; Ex. valid reasoning/passport
45. Refer; attribute; assign
46. Oval building with tiers of seats; CF. arena
47. Border upon; adjoin
48. Complete; V.
49. Something that causes a substance in a chemical solution to separate out in solid form; OP. solvent
Tiny Skills: 250+ Skill Guides in 1 Book
13 Skills Types | 550 Pages | Only $9.95 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test