Test your basic knowledge |
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Long period of time; an age; longest division of geologic time containing two or more eras
2. Able to be touched; real; concrete; palpable; possible to realize or understand; Ex. tangible proof
3. Practical; able to be carried out; practicable
4. Bleach; whiten; make white or pale
5. Gold and silver in the form of bars
6. Kind in a generous way (to someone less important)
7. State of being undecided; anxiety or apprehension resulting from uncertainty
8. Imaginary remote paradise on earth; CF. Lost Horizon
9. Show by example; furnish an example; serve as an example of; Ex. His pictures exemplify that sort of painting.
10. Small round piece of medicine; flat piece of stone or metal bearing an inscription; Ex. stone tablet on the wall
11. Pertaining to a province; limited in outlook; narrow; unsophisticated
12. Force into less space; squeeze; contract; put into fewer words; N: thick mass of cloth pressed to part of the body to stop bleeding or swelling - reduce fever - etc.
13. Being in debt; money that should have been paid; work that should have been done
14. Entangle; stick in swampy ground; stick or sink in mire; N: bog; deep mud; Ex. sucked deeper into the mire
15. Sentry; lookout
16. Thrift; economy; ADJ. frugal: practicing economy; costing little; inexpensive
17. Utter a deep guttural sound (as a pig does); N.
18. Complain; mutter discontentedly; grouch; N.
19. Cliff; dangerous position; Ex. on the edge of the precipice
20. Power to produce desired effect; ADJ. efficacious: effectual
21. Cover with a thin layer of gold
22. Someone who wastes money; CF. thrift: accumulated wealth
23. Speech or writing with no meaning; foolish behavior or language; Ex. make (a) nonsense of: spoil; cause to fail
24. Correct (usually a text); N. emendation: correction of errors; improvement
25. Unmanageable; disobedient and stubborn; Ex. refractory horse
26. (of a disease or poison) extremely harmful or poisonous; (of a feeling) hostile; bitter; N. virulence; CF. virus; CF. venom
27. Self-evident truth
28. Combativeness; disposition to fight; ADJ. pugnacious: (of people) belligerent; combative in nature
29. With reference to; regarding; Ex. remarks apropos (of) the present situation; ADJ. ADV.
30. Of low rank or position; modest; having a low opinion of oneself and a high opinion of others; unassuming; not proud; V. humiliate: make humble; cause to feel ashamed or to lose the respect of others
31. Dark; gloomy; melancholy; depressing; CF. shadow
32. Respect; value; judge; N.
33. Large group of insects moving in a mass; crowd of people or animals; V: move in a crowd or mass
34. Nourishing substance; ADJ: providing nourishment
36. Legally correct; Ex. rightful owner
37. Not working; not employed or busy; lazy; without purpose; useless; lacking substance; baseless; not based on truth; Ex. idle worker; Ex. talk idly; V.
38. Sweet sound; ADJ. euphonious
39. Not spacious; inconvenient
40. Turn away from (a principle - norm); move away from an accepted standard; swerve; depart; diverge; N. deviation; Ex. deviation of the path of light by a prism
41. Adjoining; neighboring; close by
43. Trifle with; toy with; treat without the necessary seriousness; procrastinate; waste time
44. Meanly stingy; parsimonious; N. niggard: stingy person
45. Selected passage (written or musical) taken from a longer work; V.
46. Boisterous laughter; V.
47. Disgrace; N. ADJ. dishonorable
48. (of a place) deserted; unpopulated; (of a person) lonely; forlorn; joyless
49. Supporter; follower
50. Condition of being unable to feel pain
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
dustysunlight - 100%
Link to This Test