Test your basic knowledge |
Timeline Of The Middle Ages
Answer 50 questions in 15 minutes.
If you are not ready to take this test, you can
Match each statement with the correct term.
Don't refresh. All questions and answers are randomly picked and ordered every time you load a test.
This is a study tool. The 3 wrong answers for each question are randomly chosen from answers to other questions. So, you might find at times the answers obvious, but you will see it re-enforces your understanding as you take the test each time.
1. Harold Fairhair becomes King of Norway.
2. William the Conqueror - Duke of Normandy - invades England and becomes King after the Battle of Hastings.End of Anglosaxon rule in England and start of Norman lineage.
3. The Council of Constance ends.The Western Schism comes to a close - and elects Pope Martin V as the sole pope.
4. Ramon Berenguer IV - Count of Barcelona - married Queen Petronilla of Aragon. They had been betrothed in 1137.This marriage gave the Kingdom of Aragon access to the Mediterranean Sea - creating a powerful kingdom which expanded to control many of the
5. Saladin recaptures Jerusalem.Would lead to the Third Crusades.
6. The Kalmar Union is formed.Queen Margaret I of Denmark unites the Denmark - Sweden - and Norway - and lasts until 1523.
7. The Franks under Edward defeat the Visigoths in the Battle of Vouill
1386 October 18-19th
8. Vikings attack Paris.
9. King Henry II of England lands in Ireland to assert his supremacy and the Synod of Cashel acknowledges his sovereignty.With his landing - Henry begins the English claim to and occupation of Ireland which would last some seven and a half centuries.
10. Battle of Anchialus. Simeon I the Great defeats the Byzantines.Recognition of the Imperial Title of the Bulgarian rulers.
11. Ladislaus of Naples sells his 'rights' on Dalmatia to the Venetian Republic for 100000 ducats.Dalmatia would with some interruptions remain under Venetian rule for nearly four centuries - until 1797.
12. Arpad and the Magyars are present in Pannonia.
13. Song Dynasty begins after Emperor of Taizu usurps the throne from the Later Zhou Dynasty - last of the Five Dynasties.A 319 year period of Song rule (Northern & Southern combined) goes underway.
14. Rome is sacked by Genseric - King of the Vandals
15. Peace and Truce of God formed.The first movement of the Catholic Church using spiritual means to limit private war - and the first movement in medieval Europe to control society through non-violent means.
16. William the Conqueror - Duke of Normandy - invades England and becomes King after the Battle of Hastings.End of Anglosaxon rule in England and start of Norman lineage.
17. In the Battle of Naklo - Boleslaus III Wrymouth defeats the Pomeranians.Polish access to the sea is re-established.
18. Battle of Adrianople. The Bulgarians under Emperor Kaloyan defeat Baldwin I.Beginning of the decline of the Latin Empire.
19. The Concordat of Worms was drawn up between Emperor Henry V and Pope Calixtus II.This concordat ended the investiture struggle - but bitter rivalry between emperor and pope remained.
20. Muslims capture Bari and much of southern Italy.
21. The first cornerstone is laid for the construction of Notre Dame de Paris.
22. The Bible is translated into English by John Wycliffe.First print published in English (Vulgate)
1307 Friday - October 13th
23. June 15The Magna Carta is sealed by John of England.This marks one of the first times a medieval ruler is forced to accept limits on his power.
24. The Kingdom of the Lombards is founded in Italy.
25. The Hundred Years' War begins. England and France struggle for dominance of Western Europe.The war will span through three/four different war periods within a 116 year period.
26. Henry the Fowler - Duke of Saxony elected German King.First king of the Ottonian Dynasty.Henry I considered the founder and first king of the medieval German state.
27. Mieszko I becomes duke of Polans.First historical ruler of Poland and de facto founder of the Polish State.
28. The Aztecs find the city of Tenochtitlan.This would be the epicenter and capital of the Aztec kingdom for nearly 200 years until the Siege of Tenochtitlan led by Hernan Cortes.
29. Minamoto Yoritomo is appointed Sei-i Taishogun - or shogun for short.He is the first of a long line of military dictators to bear this title. The institution would last until 1913.
30. Pepin founds the Carolingian dynasty.
31. Windmills are first recorded.
32. Battle of Kosovo in Serbia.This was in many respects the decisive battle between the Turks - led by Sultan Murat - and Christian army - led by the Serbs and their duke Lazar. The battle took place in Kosovo - the southern province of the Medieval Ser
1389 June 28th
33. The Western Schism during which three claimant popes were elected simultaneously.The Avignon Papacy ends.
1307 Friday - October 13th
34. Song Dynasty begins after Emperor of Taizu usurps the throne from the Later Zhou Dynasty - last of the Five Dynasties.A 319 year period of Song rule (Northern & Southern combined) goes underway.
35. Jerusalem captured by Muslims.
36. Papal recognition of the Dominican Order.
37. Muslims take Alexandria.
38. Slav occupation of Balkans complete.
39. Children's Crusade.
40. TheFirst War of ScottishIndependence ends in Scottish victory with the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton and de jure independence.
1402 July 20th
41. The final Peace of Constance between Frederick Barbarossa - the pope - and the Lombard towns is signed.The various articles of the treaty destroyed the unity of the Empire and Germany and Italy underwent separate developments.
42. The compilation of the Domesday Book - a great land and property survey commissioned by William the Conqueror to assess his new possessions.This is the first such undertaking since Roman times.
43. Peace and Truce of God formed.The first movement of the Catholic Church using spiritual means to limit private war - and the first movement in medieval Europe to control society through non-violent means.
44. Battle of AnkaraBayezid I is captured by Tamerlane's forces - causing the interregnum of the Ottoman Empire.
1402 July 20th
45. The final Peace of Constance between Frederick Barbarossa - the pope - and the Lombard towns is signed.The various articles of the treaty destroyed the unity of the Empire and Germany and Italy underwent separate developments.
46. Massive Chinese (Sui and Tang) invasions against Korean Goguryeo.Contributed to the fall of the Sui Dynasty - and Goguryeo fell under the forces of the Tang and Silla.
47. Alfred the Great assumes the throne - the first king of a united England.He defended England from Viking invaders - formed new laws and fostered a rebirth of religious and scholarly activities.
48. Sack of Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade.Considered to be the beginning of the decline of the Byzantine Empire.
49. Onin War takes place in Japan.First of many significant civil wars between shogunates that would continue for another century during the Muromachi period.
50. Arrival of the disciples of Saints Cyril and Methodius in BulgariaCreation of the Cyrillic script; in the following decades the country became the cultural and spiritual centre of the whole Eastern Orthodox Slavic World.
1299 July 27th
1386 October 18-19th
Communication skills, Self help skills, Self improvement skills, Productivity skills, Writing skills, Business skills, Thinking skills & More...
502 Pages | Only $12 | PDF / EPub, Kindle Ready
Link to This Test